December DS'ers!

orangecrushed
on 12/2/11 2:28 am - Triad, NC
I know there are a lot of us who are getting our DS's this month (end of year rush, perhaps).  I don't know how I worked the whole morning without realizing that this time next week, I'll be under the knife!  So, after I effin freaked out, I came on here...

I know I'm not alone!  I had my initial WTF moment last week, and this week has been totally calm until today.  I'm sure this will pass soon.

How's everyone doing?  Getting your packing done?  I've got all my lists together regarding what I need to pack, buy, and do before next Friday!  So much to do!!

I can't believe that this time next week, I'll be on the dark side!

alldredget
on 12/2/11 3:12 am - Comstock Park, MI
Good luck, I am hoping to have my DS in January. I missed the end of year rush...lol. I totally know what you mean about the WTF moments, I just got my official insurance approval today and am meeting with the surgeon on the 21st. Scary stuff, but I just can't live like this any longer!!!

Just think how different Christmas 2012 is going to be...CRAZY!! 
orangecrushed
on 12/2/11 3:45 am - Triad, NC
I just read your post in your profile.  I'm glad you've decided to go with the DS.  I was also going to go the RNY route.

As for how you feel about yourself, we all feel that way from time to time.  I hope that you can now remind yourself that you are doing something to put a positive change in your life!  Trust me, you aren't alone in the losing/gaining game.  We've all been there, done that.

Just look forward to January!  It'll be here before you know it.  Christmas 2012, we'll be swaping success stories! :)
provolisa
on 12/2/11 4:31 am - Provo, UT
I am going to be sliced and diced (family joke) on December 14th.

I have put together lists of things for my husband to buy, and I have thought a lot about what I am going to order for meals (I live in a nursing home) right after surgery. I should be able to get everything in place after I take the pre-surgery class on nutrition, on the 9th. Then I will know exactly how fast my surgeon likes his patients to progress from liquids to puree, etc.

Emotionally, I feel really calm, even though lately I have been kind of dealing with the fact that some patients do not survive this, like any, surgery. I am just feeling acceptance that if that is meant to happen, so be it, but it is not worth worrying about because this surgery is my only true shot at an independent life. It ain't pretty once you can't take care of yourself anymore.

It's now less than 2 weeks until I will join you on the loser's bench!

~Lisa

Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

fullhousemom
on 12/2/11 5:14 am
 You live in a nursing home?  Does that mean all your meals are prepared for you?  When my mother-in-law was in the nursing home, we were a little surprised at all the carbohydrates they served.  You will need protein and it will have to be very moist in the beginning especially. I am still finding that its hard for me to eat plain chicken at 7 weeks. I need a little sauce, gravy, or broth to keep things moving. And a couple of drinks of water in the process of eating does not work!!  I need to find some good cream sauce recipes; unfortunately, I god rid of most of my pre-DS unhealthy cookbooks. 
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/2/11 5:24 am
 Hey there! So, as you know I'll be under the knife just 24 hours before you!  I got the call from surgery scheduling today and got my check in time--8:15--so I won't have go thirsty for too long before surgery!

I'm actually moving my kids and husband and I to my inlaws' house where they'll let me recover (and maybe wait on my hand and foot?lol).  So I've been in the process of getting some toys over there, getting their clothes over there, and getting all of our stuff folded and ready to move.  My DS suitcase isn't ready yet--I'm just bringing a duffle bag with a change of clothes, some big-ol' granny underwear (I usually wear sexy little stuff) since I'll be swollen, and some other necessities I've been told I shoud bring (back scratcher, ear plugs, face mask, etc.).  

I'm not nervous or freaking out anymore.  I spent much of October and then almost ALL of November with a great big tummy ache all of the time had the runs and throwing up as well.  I guess I was nervous and not really talking about it like I should have.  But going for my preop with my surgeon was the best thing I've done for myself.  He was so reassuring and I'm just ready now.  I almost feel like I'm a freak since I just don't feel scared anymore.  BUt I DO worry about nausea afterwards, and all of the pain I may feel and I recover.  I've got two little kids so it's a bit daunting.  I worry hwo they'll fair with my husband and in-laws taking care of them too.  However, it's time! And so I look forward to Monday morning and getting going.  

Do you have a DS angel yet? If not, get someone to call and check in so we can be updated on the board.  I'll be thinking about you and sending hugs your way. 

Take it easy Switch Sister!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

orangecrushed
on 12/2/11 8:02 am - Triad, NC
I do have an angel!  She's gonna update the FB page, hopefully here too.  I am wishing you the best!  I'm glad you are feeling calm.  I've had some serious mixed emotions today.  I'm getting ready to go out with my family for dinner and to go to a Christmas lights festival, and I realized I probably won't see my lil brother again before my surgery, so I started boo-hooing. lol  Gotta keep a lid on that!

I'm tired of this emotional rollercoaster, that's for sure.  If I could fast forward this week and go straight to surgery, I'd do it right now.  I think this waiting is playing games with my fragile mind. :p

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to your angel updating us all!  Best of luck getting through this week and with your surgery!

Nic
provolisa
on 12/2/11 5:26 am - Provo, UT
Yes, I live in a nursing home, because I got too fat to take care of myself.

It IS carbohydrate heaven around here, but I have already switched to choosing the protein and vegetable choices on the menu, and having cottage cheese for dessert.

The dietary manager is very helpful, and they have 4 separate gradients of food preparation, from normal consistency to puree. They make the mush moist, for people with trouble swallowing. I don't anticipate a problem there,

For days when the protein is pre-mixed into carbohydrates (such as in tuna pasta salad) I can go to the kitchen while they are preparing a meal and ask that some tuna, for example, is left out of the salad and put in a bowl for me, or else I have permission to keep a small refrigerator in my room, to keep my own selection of food to augment their menu. Since we have 2 menu choices every lunch and dinner, I don't anticipate a problem there, either.

For breakfast, however, I have heard that eggs can be hard to handle, and that is the main protein source for breakfast here. I am trying to figure out what to plan for breakfast. Maybe cottage cheese? I hope I do not have lactose intolerance after surgery. I think I will start a thread for suggestions...

~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

sandyv63
on 12/2/11 5:59 am - Naples, FL
Lisa, I was eating a hard boiled egg at 6 days post-op.  Not everyone has a hard time with eggs.  Heck, right now I'm eating a chicken satay (shishkebob) and I'm only three weeks out! Like everything else in the DS world, YMMV.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
imok2863
on 12/2/11 5:29 am - worcester, PE
Yes I know what you mean I am getting the DS on Dec 7th and it hit home on Wednesday when I went in for a pre admission test.

Then this morning I had a IVC filter place in me. In the recovery room I had the WTF next week at this time I am hoping to be released from the hospital from my "big surgery".

As for the packing and getting ready my lovely wife is taking care of all that. She is afraid that I am going to forget something. I think it just keeps her calm thinking she has some control of the situation.Till Wednesday morning my job was to reassure her that I was going to come out of it alright.

Well good luck and hope to seeing you all on the other side,on the "losers bench"
Most Active