How often do you get your labs done?

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 2:01 am - Stockton, CA
I am coming up on my 10 month surgiversary and I'm wondering how often you guys get your labs done....I have gotten them every 3 months for this first year but what do most people do after that?
duncans
on 11/28/11 2:50 am
What I do:

Most are annual,this includes a DEXA scan. the unstable or less than optimal values are done q 3-6 months. What constitutes unstable-- differs from person to person.

fullhousemom
on 11/28/11 3:09 am, edited 11/28/11 3:10 am
 And who orders and reads your labs?  Your PCP or your surgeon?  My sugeon's protocol (he in an internist, not sure if that is common among all DS surgeons), calls for annual check ups. I expect I will see him forever.   I also expect a full lab order, much like what was required when I had surgery. I am fortunate to be following my dad's footsteps.  I know my surgeon's methods and follow up works. 
duncans
on 11/28/11 3:29 am, edited 11/28/11 3:31 am
I write what I want and give the list to my PCP, which she then orders. I request a hard copy of my results and treat myself according to advice she offers, research I read, and advice given on various boards. The best  general advice has been from here on OH or Duodenal Switch Forum or from PM's to specific members.
I have yet to meet a physician (excluding our Dr. Steve,---well, I haven't met him either) that is up to speed re: our needs. I do feel a responsibility in teaching / expanding their experience through my experience to improve care for those who follow us. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am trying.
My surgeon only saw me once postop. He was woefully nonaggressive, or perhaps unaware, re: level of supplementation required. The hospital is developing a post WLS network to include an Endocrinologist for nutritional / metabolic support.  He is now my endo, as well. Also woefully unaware of DS needs. Basically, I drive my medical care and listen to their input, take in what is of value and makes sense, disregard the rest. I challenge some of their concepts. Who knows if makes a difference, but I feel better for doing so.
Challenging the medical world's advice is not easy for me. I am not a Diana Cox, or EN. I just have a middle-of-the-range IQ and a memory like a sieve. But, I have stick-to-it-tiveness and a sense of for-the-better-good.

newyorkbitch
on 11/28/11 3:50 am, edited 11/28/11 3:53 am
I am 11.5 years out.  I get labs every 4-5 months.  Dexascan every 2 years.  I have not seen my surgeon or communicated with him in many years.  My internist,  or hematologist,  orders the labs depending on whom I happen to be seeing.  For example if I get my iron checked by my hematologist to see if I need an infusion,  he's happy to run everything for me at the same time.  Same with my internist  - if I get labs done,  she'll happily run the full iron panel so I don't have to get blood drawn again by the hematologist during that period of time.

I would never wait a year.  That's way too long to correct a downward trend before it gets too low. 

Most Active