Dr. Crookes

2011Mommy
on 11/25/11 10:02 am
Hello,
I am looking for feedback from Dr. Crooke's patients. I am reading as many posts as I can to research, and am consistently coming across his patient's saying something along the lines of having to convince Dr. C to do the DS. I am just wondering why that is? Does he prefer other types of surgeries? I know he is a great, respected surgeon and I would like to schedule a consult with him and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Lulu 
kprc1
on 11/25/11 11:08 am - west covina, CA
He is Awesome.  Just let him know the type of surgery you want, and tell him why you want it.  Know your information, and you will be fine.

Good luck
2011Mommy
on 11/26/11 3:12 pm
 Thank you! I plan on bringing a folder with me with all my research for us to discuss :)

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/25/11 1:17 pm
 I really wish Bookfaerie was on here tonight to answer your question about Crookes.  She met with him once--outside of the office just after the informational seminar and she was able (in a very short time) to convince him that she would be a great candidate for the DS and that he'd be willing to do it for her if her Kaiser surgeon refused.  Our surgeon at Kaiser is another who doesn't just let you walk in and tell him which surgery you should be getting.  He too wants to know that you know as much about this procedure as possible and that you are ready, willing, and able to comply with the dietary and supplemental requirements so that you'll live a long and healthy life.  Mine also wanted me to assure him that I had a support system out side of Kaiser that I could go to for advice and help if needed.

I think it's just the doctor having a lack of confidence in the patient and in their commitment to living the DS life.  I don't think there is anyone on here who has had the surgery who would disagree that it's not for everyone.  It's easy to go out and get a surgeon to agree to give you the RNY or the VSG but you won't die from the affects of not eating properly or not taking vitamins--it will take much longer for a Bypass or Sleeve patient to get sick and die.  But with the DS the patients can get sick very quickly if they don't take care of themselves NOW.  My surgeon said it's rare that patients come into his office having very much knowledge about the DS and what's worse is that the insurance plan (in my case Kaiser) also doesn't know much about this surgery either.  DS patients are sort of out there floating in space relying on one another and good research skills to survive.  So, in my never to be humble opinion, I'm sort of glad they don't all just give out the DS indiscriminately.  You have to work a bit for it and I think those who are successful, are those who are usually truly committed to this new lifestyle.

I met with my surgeon today for the preop and found that he seemed excited to be working with me and was curious about what reaction I got from other physicians at Kaiser when I told them of the DS.  I'm going under the knife on December 5th so wish me luck!  And since I'm in Southern California as well as you, let's keep in touch.  There is a Southern California Area DSr's group (SCADS) that meets every so often--for lunch or whatever.  I went and joined everyone a few months ago so that I could see for my self what a DS patient looks like 3 weeks out all the way up to 8 years out.  It was a pleasure to be with these people and I can't wait for the next one! So you should definitely join up when we do the next one.

Sheri
p.s. I think you should just meet with Crookes and see what he has to say to you.  My surgeon said that Crookes is exceptional.  Also, just make sure to really educate yourself so that when he asks you why you think this is the best surgery for you, you come there confident in what you want and why you want it.

Sher--the bear mama

2011Mommy
on 11/26/11 3:16 pm
 Thank you! I appreciate the detail of your response. I think you are spot-on. I am doing so much research and I will make an appointment for a consultation to get feedback from the doctor. 
Good luck on your surgery! It is right around the corner now (ohh I'm a tad bit jealous lol).
I would LOVE to become a part of the group. Would you sent me a message with the info? It will be so great to meet DSers in "real life" lol... 
Lulu
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 2:06 pm
Hi Lulu,
   Dr. Crookes is amazing!  He doesn't really need convincing to do the DS, he just wants to make sure you are informed and well versed about it. He would rather you understand before hand all that is involved than to have you say later you had no idea, but if testing shows that the DS isn't the best option for you he will not do it, he doesn't prefer any specific surgery other than the one he feels is best for you and would benifit you in the longrun... As far as what to expect with a consult... he is a sweetheart. He will ask you questions about yourself and what your expectations are. I would call for a consultation with him. I paid out of pocket for my first consult with him because he was out of network with my insurance. Best money I ever spent, made me that much more determined to fight for my DS.   Stacee
2011Mommy
on 11/26/11 3:19 pm
Thanks so much Stacee! I was starting to get worried. I am sending you a message... I have some other things I would love your input on.
Most Active