Since we're on the topic of recovery...

Valerie G.
on 11/22/11 2:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I feel compelled to share the article I contributed to DSFACTS.com years ago:

I'm going to tell you what to expect following surgery from a post-op's perspective. This is not to scare you, but to inform you so you're not freaked out when it happens. Your surgeon's job is to do your DS, your body's job is to recover and your job is to nurture yourself, give your body everything it needs whether you like it or not, and know that next week will get a little better and so on. Take your emotions and angst out of it -- and there you have it.

Going into surgery, they will give you an IV. That's all you'll see yourself. The docs will probably come in and let you know what they're doing. A chaplain may come in to pray with you if it's a religiously oriented hospital (that was MY surprise). A family/friend can join you when you're in your surgery jammies for a few minutes before they wheel you in.

When you wake up, you'll have a lot more tubes sticking out of you than you went in with. They're odd and a little uncomfortable. No worries, though. The meds they have you on make them not a big deal at all. You'll keep these in for the rest of the day and not care at all, and they'll probably be removed the next day. Removing them doesn't hurt, but boy is it bizarre. It created sensations I can't begin to explain, but they were brief and I repeat -- didn't hurt.

Let's talk about the meds now. I was on a morphine pump, backed up by a "pain ball" which is a little fanny pack with a tube inserted at my incision site to constantly pump numbing stuff to my wound directly. Carrying the fanny pack was a nuisance, but a small price to pay. The morphine was the best. I was so stoned I hardly knew my name. There was some other mystery drug too, that had its own button that I could administer to myself. I barely knew who or where I was, but what I DID know was how many minutes I had left on the right hand before I could press the button, as well as how many minutes I had left on the left hand. I liked staying in my haze, for I could tell by the discomfort and pressure that I'd be in for a world of hurt otherwise. I didn't care how uncomfortable I was, I didn't care of the pulling sensation whenever I moved. I didn't care that I had a catheter in me so I didn't have to pee. It was all good and that stuff did its job beautifully. A couple minutes before I got up to walk, I pressed my magic buttons so that stuff had the chance to get in my body good before I started moving.

Which brings us to the subject of moving. Yes, after they've opened you up and put you back together again like humpty dumpty; they have the audacity to make you walk within only a couple of hours. This is important to get your circulation going. That's why they have those goofy vibrating leg warmers on you, but nothing, not even the leg warmers are as good for you as taking a stroll around the nurse's station. I was given a goal of 10 laps a day to get those leg warmers off (they're cool at first, but they're plastic so your legs get all sweaty in them). That was my goal each day in the hospital. Don't worry about your appearance either. You may pass another who looks just as haggardly as you do. Give that person a knowing nod and continue with your quest. This is no fashion show either. Your wound may seep and why bother soiling your clothes? The nurses and docs want your incision to be easily accessible, and believe me your mobility is limited for squirming in the bed to alter your own jammies. Keeping your gown untied for them to poke you at will is easiest. Today's hospital gowns cover much better than the good ol days, and if you must, you can use a second gown to use as a robe.

As soon as I farted, I was allowed to have full liquids. As soon as I gave a little poo, I was given soft foods. Some docs are this liberal, while some have you on liquids longer. I want to tell you though, that it doesn't really matter. You will get pleasure from none of it, really. After only a couple of bites, you'd think you ate a 5 course meal. This will continue for a couple weeks. It's baffling.

Coming home, make sure you have a pillow to hold to your stomach as you cross each and every bump in the road. Start taking vitamins and your pain meds right away. You'll also have a breathing exerciser to help get the gunk out of your lungs from the anesthesia. Don't forget you brought that home with you. You need to continue using it. You will be horribly uncomfortable, but your pain level should be minimal. If you like sleeping on your stomach, get some extra pillows to lean on so you can simulate that and not actually put pressure on your stomach. This will last a few days and by the time you're home for a week, the pain meds shouldn't be necessary at all anymore. You'll still feel uncomfortable and movement may feel laborious, but little or no pain. Ibuprofen should do the trick if need be.

While at home, you won't feel like eating or drinking. You won't feel hungry at all. Not much will taste the least big palatable either. Neither of these is an excuse to not give your body what it needs. Know now that you need to drink 64 oz of fluids in any way, shape or form you can get them in. Experiment with flavors and temperatures and find something that you can tolerate. I resorted to sweet decaf tee and green Kool-Aid (both with Splenda), because all of a sudden, Crystal Light tasted like pure poison to me. It took some trial and error to find what I could tolerate, but I managed. Once I found them, though, it made getting in my fluids much easier. I suggest a giant 64oz cup with a straw that you can carry around with you. Take a sip before you do anything; take another sip when you're done. If you're watching TV, take a sip for every commercial. If you're watching South Park, take a sip every time someone calls Cartman a fatass. Watch mob movies and programs and drink whenever someone gets whacked or cusses. Yes, make drinking games! Whatever it takes!! For eating, it's just gonna suck. You'll get a taste for something and in your mind; it's going to be fabulous. In your mouth, though, not so much. How the heck does that happen? I dunno, but keep trying to get in that food. Every week gets a little better and easier to eat more food and more variety. Separate yourself from the emotion of it. Your job is to properly nourish your body so it can heal. It is what it is. If you can't eat or drink, then that's what that j-tube you came home with is for. You can inject protein drinks and fluids directly to your stomach. I found that reason enough to eat and drink the good old fashioned way because that was too bizarre for me. When I had to take a half-cup of potassium liquid, though, I was glad I had it, cuz I was in no way gonna drink that crap.

Protein drinks were the devil to me. Absolutely NOTHING tasted the least bit acceptable to me. It was like my taste buds were on strike against me with all of this. I gagged them down because my doc wanted me getting 100g out of the gate and you just can't argue with that woman. I resorted to ProStat64. It tasted like pure monkey butt, but had 15g per ounce. I took it like Nyquil, held my nose and made a face, but it was over quickly.

I also want to note that food just loses its luster as a post op for several months. You turn to eating just because you know you need to eat. You really don't care much what, but you know that your body needs it. You try for variety, but any sense of bliss is lost for some time. It can be disappointing, but this, too, fades in time. Once again, you are eating to nourish your body. That is your job (separating yourself from the emotion again). I set an alarm in outlook to remind myself to eat and take vitamins at work. (Even today - 3 years later, I still have the vitamin reminder on) As the months go by, you enjoy one thing more than you have for a while, then another and another until you realize that you're eating normal again and actually (gasp) enjoying it. When did this happen? I dunno, but enjoy it because you MADE IT!!

I survived all of this and I still stand by my opinion that my recovery was easy -- YES EASY. Easy by comparison to those with complications -- easy compared to other procedures and their head hunger -- easy because I survived it. This is the part where you can laugh at those who say that wls is the easy way out. Yeah, you know easy!

So, this is what you should be prepared for and come as no surprise when it happens. As they come, check them off of your list and assure yourself that they too, will pass.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Blank Out
on 11/22/11 2:50 am
 Bless you Val!  I remember reading this, and it really prepared me!  There were no surprises!  Thank you for reposting.  It is worth repeating!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

stefaski
on 11/22/11 7:10 am, edited 11/22/11 7:10 am - Bear, DE
DS on 01/09/12
WOW - thank you so very, very much for re-posting this!  I'm on the last leg of  a very long and frustrating journey to a DS procedure preliminarily scheduled for January, 2012.  I am definitely a person who likes to know what to expect so I can see there is light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully not coming from an oncoming train).  This helps so much!

God Bless You!

Most Active