Regret ? Question for vets

Ann M.
on 11/22/11 9:54 am - GA
So you are one week out? At my one week follow up I asked for a reversal I had buyers remorse so bad. Now 5 months later, I am concentrating on maximizing weight loss. But getting from there to this point sucked for me. What you are feeling now was totally normal for me at that time. But as things progressively improved I moved on emotionally. Hang in there, it does get better.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Blackthorne
on 11/22/11 10:41 am - Alpharetta, GA
 It's not at all unusual for someone to experience buyer's remorse immediately after surgery.   You're getting to experience all of the pain & discomfort of major surgery AND you can't comfort yourself with food AND you don't have any of the real benefits yet of having HAD the surgery.  

Totally normal.    Depending on the degree of issues you have while recovering, it can take a couple of weeks (if no complications) to a number of months if you had severe problems to overcome.    

What I would suggest for you is that unless you are experiencing life threatening complications, do not even consider making changes (surgically) for a year.    If in a year, you still feel that you've made a mistake, then it may be time to consult with a surgeon.  

In the meantime, counseling for stress, change & body dysmorphia is an excellent idea for helping you adjust to the new life you've created.    Believe me, I *know* what it's like to be a baby DS'er and experience stress.    Two months before my surgery, I lost my job.  A month before my surgery, Katrina hit, and that was the FIFTH hurricane I'd been through in less than a year.   Six weeks after my surgery, my father died.    I also travelled about 100,000 miles that year between planes & automobiles, moved cross country, packed my house,  went through all of my father's belongings with my brother & packed them up too.  

But I got through it, and so will you.     Do what you need to do to be healthy & successful including getting all your water in, proper exercise,  eating well,  taking appropriate supplements, and keeping in contact with your doctor for bloodwork.   

--BT
     Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Click here to read my blog: Unicorns & Stranger Things
Panda ..
on 11/23/11 2:24 am
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 7:00 am
I think a lot of us have a sense of 'buyers remorse' immediately post op. I was more "what that hell have I done to myself" type of mode. *lol* Be patient with yourself, it will get better.
Marleymeluv
on 11/25/11 2:57 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Buyers remorse,you betcha...had it big time,recovery for me was from end of February till mid July(part of incicion wouldn't close) Now if I had to do it again with all of that I would in a second. I have never been healthier nor happier in my adult life.Give yourself time to heal.

:360,

SW:340, CW:128, RGW:126   Lost 20 Lbs preop

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1471 views