Regret ? Question for vets

airbender
on 11/21/11 7:20 pm
I didn't have buyer's remorse when I revised to the DS, but I was very very sick with my primary WLS, I just wanted to not be sick and maybe have a normal life, of which the DS has given me.  So I bypassed that.  The unknown is a scary thing, keep following the rules, listen to your body, eat, drink, rest, recover from surgery, then work on losing weight......good luck on your journey
Sarah_Anne
on 11/21/11 9:16 pm
This surgery is a huge fricken deal.  It took me MONTHS to feel ok and almost a year to feel normal.  Give yourself some time.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
hopingintx
on 11/21/11 11:23 pm

Heather,

I wish I could give you a big HUG.   Yes, I had buyers remorse.  I felt like crap.  Struggled with fluids.  Sometimes soft food felt like cement in my new stomach.  But I would do this surgery every year to achieve the life I have now.  I'm so happy I did it.  It was all totally worth it.

Tell Chris to take a chill pill and let you deal with how you are feeling by yourself.  I know he wants to help but maybe he is putting his own expectations on you without meaning to. 

You are going to be fine, Hun.  It takes lots of time for some of us to recover.  It was about 8 weeks before I started to feel normal again.  I learned how to get along with my DS but it was a while before I could say I love it.  I'll be praying for you to get over this hump and start to feel much better soon.
Nancy            
larra
on 11/21/11 11:48 pm - bay area, CA
Good grief, the truck that ran over you is still visible just down the road! As Rags said, cut yourself some slack. It's major surgery and general anesthesia. It's major metabolic changes that are going to emornously improve your life but that require your body to make a big adjustment.
      Keep your eyes on the prize, and if you are feeling depressed, get help with that, but just know that it WILL get better.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 12:00 am - San Jose, CA
The nausea I had for the first month freaked me the hell out.  Nausea and puking were the biggest reasons I knew I could not deal with RNY or lapband, but I totally did NOT expect it with the DS, and I was terrified it was never going to stop.  Once it did, I started feeling SO much better, and coupled with the significant weight loss in the first month, it was a comparative romp after that.

But the first few weeks suck big fat donkey dongs.
Nicolle
on 11/22/11 12:46 am
Cut yourself some slack--you just went through some major physical and emotional trauma. I felt awful at about 4 or 5 days out and then it was like the sun started shining again a little more each day.

Then, a few weeks later, I started a crazy hormonal dump that made me feel like I was crazy. I had road rage and other stuff. It lasted a few months. So, in short, you are on a rollercoaster that can be thrilling and scary. Try and enjoy the highs when you can (weigh-ins, new clothes, better health) and endure the scary lows and sharp turns. If you need help navigating the lows, please see a therapist--it really helps!

Take care,

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

goodkel
on 11/22/11 1:41 am
You are only one week out, fercryinoutloud. You haven't even begun to heal.

Push aside that useless emotion. Even if you wanted to, you would have to heal from this surgery before a surgeon would go back in to take down your DS. I had a very rough two months and it took me almost a year before I felt anything resembling normal.

So put that in your head. In one year you can schedule a take down if you still want it. Concentrate on sipping, walking, and sleeping so you can heal.

We'll see how you feel about it later when you can actually do something about it.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Valerie G.
on 11/22/11 3:02 am, edited 11/22/11 3:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Give it some time. It sucks that you're watching his flawless recovery and if it were me, I'd be secretly hating him by now. Some of us just need more time to find our groove. I guess it comes with expectations. I expected and was prepared for the worst. I see some people bouncing back after 2 weeks, and gawk in awe. It took me a good 6 weeks before I even began to feel like myself again. For a long time, I started at the wall, because the tv pictures moved too fast. My recovery was slow, but uneventful. It just took me getting used to eating and drinking what I needed to do. I pushed myself to do it, finding no enjoyment in it at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Switched4Life
on 11/22/11 7:58 am
         I never had a single moment of regret.  However, I had a very easy and quick, full recovery and that helps.  

The thing to concentrate on at this stage, I think, is how you will feel, say, a year from now when you will be fit and looking and feeling great.  It will all be worth the issues you may be having now.

Good luck!

Michael 
Victorious_one
on 11/22/11 9:30 am - South Central, PA

I had buyer's remorse for almost a year.  All that nausea, vomiting and not being able to take in enough protein.  I eventually had to go on TPN.  I was miserable.  I would not have recommended the DS to anyone--best friend or worst enemy.

Now, I hate that I waited so long!  I could have been enjoying live and being healthy a lot sooner.

I also had a DS hubby who had a flawless recovery, and that didn't help my disposition one bit!  

Hang in there!  It gets better.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 61 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 717 views
DS to RNY revision?