Question about nutrition-nuts, popcorn, fruit

L. G.
on 11/13/11 9:53 am
OK, so I'm 14 months out and I've been avoiding all three of these things in case they upset my stomach.  But I'm ready to branch out now and try them.  My problem is I still have another 20-25 lbs to lose before my window closes.  Are there too many carbs in nuts, popcorn, and fruit?  I really miss being able to eat these things (particularly the first two), but I don't want to stop the weight loss.  I know these foods have a lot of fiber, but even when I factor that in it seems like a lot of net carbs. 
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/13/11 10:00 am
Nuts are great and in my opinion any fruit low on the glycemic index - in moderation- is fine, but it depends on what works for you. Try a little and see how it goes, everyone is different. I eat popcorn every other week since month 3, with LOTS of butter.. nom nom nom....
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

NoMore B.
on 11/13/11 10:23 am
 Nuts are low carb, they have been a staple in my diet from early on.  You should enjoy them freely.  Just make sure you're choosing roasted nuts - not those coated in something sweet, like honey roasted nuts.  Read the labels to be sure.  I'm snacking on a giant bag of pistachio's tonight.  

Popcorn should be ok, in moderation.  It's a carb, but I eat it and so do many others I know.  I've read debates on whether it's a "comples" or "simple" carb.  I love it with a ton of butter.  I also make it with butter, truffle oil, and freshly grated parmesean cheese.  I have it a few times a month, not every day or even every week.

Fruit?  I would consider it like a dessert and only have it occassionally if you're still trying to lose weight.  Some fruit, like berries, are lower carb than other types - so you can choose wisely, but I'd still do it in small moderate amounts.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/13/11 10:25 am
Ooooo! Truffle oil on popcorn.. I like the way you think!
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

NoMore B.
on 11/13/11 10:29 am
 It's delicious!  
orangecrushed
on 11/14/11 7:11 am - Triad, NC
Yum, making a note on the truffle oil and parmesean cheese on popcorn for later!  That sounds delicious!
Elizabeth N.
on 11/13/11 11:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
Eat nuts.

Psyche
on 11/13/11 1:52 pm
Nuts were fine - while they did not upset my stystem, if I was backed up, they worked just like fiber. Popcorn would clean me out, which was not a bad thing. Fruits were all different, depending on what I ate.

I would not stress too much about your window closing. A lot of people have had weight loss after that "window" was closed. I lost an extra 10 without trying. Everyone is different - don't stress it.
SW 280 / GW 150 / CW 128.8

Reconstructive surgery, under construction!

Lower Body Lift - 12/14/2011 - Atlanta VA Medical Center
Brachioplasty & Mastopexy w/Augmentation - 03/14/2012 - Dr Marisa Lawrence

hollyweasel
on 11/13/11 10:13 pm - MI
Nuts are great, but they upset my stromach at first too.  Start with something easy and 'buttery' in texture, like Cashews or Peanuts.  Almonds still sometimes give me troubles because they are not as easy to digest.

Popcorn is magic and will clean you out too - an added bonus.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

Chad M.
on 11/13/11 11:59 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Count me in the "there isn't really a window" crowd. It's easier in the beginning, sure.

Anyway if you are trying to maximize weight loss, I would personally stay away from fruit, I would not eat a lot of popcorn, but nuts should be fine. Most nuts are pretty low carb but almonds and peanuts are both very low carb choices. I ate a lot of those losing weight and still do.

I think Macademias may be even lower carb but they are more expensive.
Most Active