CONSTANLY needing antacids?

Panda ..
on 11/14/11 11:31 am, edited 11/14/11 11:32 am
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 2:18 am
The reasoning being that the PPI's prevent enough stomach acid to metabolize the calcium.  I am not sure why Tums would not do the same thing but no studies on that?

I have been on a PPI for around 25 years although I do take less post-op than I did pre-op.  I keep a careful watch on my labs as that is where it would show up if your PPI is messing with your Calcium and D levels.  Dexa scan is normal for my age.

The studies are probably correct but DSer's are in better touch with their labs than most 'normies'. 

I am also wondering how many of the people in the studies were D and Calcium deficient.
newyorkbitch
on 11/13/11 4:09 am
Exactly.  My calcium and PTH levels are okay, even at 11.5 years post-op,  and my dexascans are normal.  As long as you keep your levels up,  while on a PPI or not,  it shouldn't be a problem.    Of course if you cannot keep your levels up,  and the PPI is contributing to that,  then you make another decision.

For me,  the GERD is not manageable with out a PPI.  And I'm fortunate enough to be able to maintain my calcium/PTH/bone density.  For a long time now.  And FWIW,  I have a 75cm cc.

mellysarah03
on 11/13/11 3:38 am, edited 11/13/11 3:38 am - Fort Myers, FL
 I didnt say tums cause bone loss, because tums are a form of calcium. However because they cause the reduction of acid in your stomach they are not (and this is something I HEARD on here not from research) a sufficient source of calcium in themselfs because you dont have enough acid to break them down. I am not sure if this is true or not because sinceA) they do say calcium supliment on them and B) I have been taking so much Tums/antacids (not changed my other vits) my hair and nails seem to have gotten longer and stronger. So I dont know. ANyway I decided not to take omeprazole and take the chance. It was a personal decision because I have had some slightly off calcium and D's on my labs pre- and post op and because I am was so young when i had my DS (24) I would rather not chance it. I am not an expert but this was MY choice for me.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 3:46 am
Tums are calcium carbonate and that form of calcium does require more stomach acid to transport or break down. 

Like you say, it is your choice.  For me, the tums did zilch to reduce my GERD and a lot of tums seems to be a cause of kidney stones as the calcium in them does not bind well to the oxalates? I do have a paper on that. 

My D, calcium and PTH levels are much better now than they were pre-op so I don't think the PPI is hurting me yet. :)  I was also concerned as I was 52 when I had surgery and have no idea how long I was deficient pre-op.

I hope everything works for you.
Most Active