CONSTANLY needing antacids?

dtabor5
on 11/12/11 7:07 am
okay I am what 3 years out and I need antacids several times a day. I have tracked it that if I do not eat every two hours or so i get serious pain from the sternum to the stomach. it does not matter what i eat, it can be carrots, cake, ice cream.... even pure protein Greek yogurt..

Has any one else had this problem? it is like a bend you over and you can't stand up straight pain....

Thanks,
Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Mike A.
on 11/12/11 8:15 am - Independence, MO
At 2.5 years out I found that I was having a lot of reflux type problems. Omeprazole(Priolosec) has been one of my very best friends ever since. The difference for me has been drastic. I went from pain to no pain in about two days.

Mike
HW 452/SW 428/ CW 188/GW 190

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 8:46 am - San Jose, CA
You probably need to be on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor), e.g.:
Elizabeth N.
on 11/13/11 11:06 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dexilant is my new hero.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 11:13 am - TX
 Dexilant rocks.  I've gone from misery to happiness because of it.  
KarenFlorida
on 11/12/11 9:57 am - Orlando, FL
Have you been checked for an ulcer?

Pain that is relieved by eating can be related to an ulcer. You might want to discuss this with your PCP or a gastroenterologist.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

dtabor5
on 11/12/11 10:20 am
have tried taking the Nexium and it offered no relief. I guess i will have to go see a gastro doctor.... I haven't been checked for ulcers.... never thought about it. all i know is pain, then bloating then gas.... LOTS of gas... and i have made sure that it isn't diet related....

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!

Elizabeth N.
on 11/12/11 10:34 am - Burlington County, NJ
You need to be scoped. Don't just throw pills at it. Get to a gastroenterologist, explain your anatomy and symptoms to him/her and find out what's really happening. And do not delay. You have a severe problem.

(I just learned about this on myself.)

dtabor5
on 11/12/11 11:10 am
what problem did you find out? and how do i try to begin explaining this to a new doctor? I guess I can take pictures...

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!

Elizabeth N.
on 11/12/11 7:53 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Explaining to a new doctor, particularly a gastroenterologist, is easy. You take one of the many pics available online that shows the DS configuration. You tell the doc in words (or write it down and show it to him/her). What I say is this: "I had a subtotal vertical gastrectomy and an intestinal bypass consisting of a duodenoileostomy and an ileoileostomy. The biliopancreatic limb is 60% of my total small bowel length and the alimentary limb is 40%, with a common channel of 75 cm."

(Your actual numbers will vary and you don't need to actually say all the numbers. You will want to include your common channel length.) 

A gastroenterologist is a cool person to whom to be able to say this, because they KNOW guts :-). They will think about it, make a mental picture and then go, "OH WOW." Or something like that.

As for my problem, I got lucky. After nearly a year of throwing Tums and pills at my sore gut, all I had was garden variety GERD with severe gastritis and esophagitis. I was quite stunned, because it wasn't like I was in PAIN. It was just discomfort and a feeling of pressure in my chest, and a couple of foods that actually made my stomach hurt (like a certain kind of pickled pepper--very specific--and lemonade).

You could have an ulcer or any of a whole bunch of things. Your body is screaming at you and needs care RIGHT NOW. You've put this off way too long.

One of the DS commandments is: THOU SHALT NEVER, EVER, IGNORE A BELLYACHE. Get seen and do. not. delay.

An upper endoscopy is the easiest exam you'll ever have. You go in fasting, you get marvelous drugs, nitenite and it's over in a very few minutes. You wake up, have a scratchy throat and a very good drunk, and that's it. No hangover from the good drunk either ;-).

Most Active