I think I need more than this sleeve

VegasLAbound
on 11/12/11 3:10 am - Cleveland, OH
Hello everyone,

I was recently sleeved and I have already asked my doc about the DS. I am not happy with the progress. I am down 11 lbs in six weeks. I have done everything right and I cannot lose any weight. I would be a poster child for the rules and guidelines for the post-op diet, add in the exercise and the proper fluid intake and I have only lost 11lbs. I lost 23 pre-op simply on low carbs. What a load of bs...

I just wanted to introduce myself and rant because I am moving on to the DS and then I'll really be on the losers bench.
inkedandsleeved
on 11/12/11 3:40 am
 I'm a sleever about to get switched, so I can somewhat relate.
But quite honestly, your loss at 6 weeks is no indicator at all of the speed that you will lose or the amount you will lose. Most of the ones that kept the weight off and got down on the forum when i was on it were very slow losers in the beginning. Your loss isn't slow, there's also other things to take into consideration like how much you lost pre-op (most preop sleevers dont lose that much. congratulations!)

6 weeks is nothing, and no surgery's success or weakness can be judged in this amount of time.
also (not saying you are, but i have to remind myself all the time of this), do NOT compare your loss with someone that may have a higher bmi than you. it's not a race in the first few weeks, though that's the most nervewracking time, it's also the time that your body's going through the most changes post-surgery, still inflamed, still healing, and will do some crazy **** the first few weeks. measure yourself, stay on plan, and don't get mad at "just 11 pounds". there are some DSers that lose what they feel as slowly at first especially if they had such an awesome loss pre-surgery like you did. 

Basically, don't get that mad this early out. Work your sleeve to the best of your ability, a few months later look at your progress, and then see what you need to do. there are slow DS llosers in the beginning too (also, DSers tend to have a higher starting BMI than sleevers due to the requirements of most of the docs. so don't compare the loss this early out yet). The main thing with the sleeve will come a little later, and with steady loss, and most importantly, the DS keeps off the EWL better than any other surgery. For now, focus on making the best of this one. You have to heal anyway before any surgeon will switch you. 

The first few weeks are nervewracking. As soon as you are cleared by your doc for baths again, take the longest most aromatic essential oiled bath with candles and music and pat yourself on the back for going this far. 33 lbs gone is nothing to sneeze at. A few months down the line you can examine if you want to get the "second part of the switch" done. For now it's counterproductive to rage about the surgery unless you are haveing complications. You just got a be a little bit patient now, gather more information, and when you heal and are further out, work with your doc to re-examine your surgery or possibilities :)

ain't over till it's over!
Valerie G.
on 11/12/11 3:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Give your VSG a chance before you jump on the DS train.  You may be surprised at the results you'll get with a little more time.  If not, we're here for you later.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 4:32 am - San Jose, CA
 We keep warning people about this. In particular, blacks and Hispanics are less likely to benefit from restrictive-only procedures. But you are not going to get insurance to pay for a switch now, more's the pity. You're going to have to fail the sleeve, including stretching it out, and then deal with a revision likely requiring a dangerous resleeving as well. 

PRE-OPS:  THINK TWICE, CUT ONCE!!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/12/11 4:40 am - Tuvalu

"Racist!" screamed the half-Latina (Count #1), older (Count #2), revision (Count #3) patient!

I didn't like those odds, but they were STILL better than living with the band.  (And I don't recall any early out band data on Latinos, but I do recall that in one group, African American patients had really poor results.)

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 4:45 am
I had my sleeve 7 months ago.  I'm getting the DS on the 29th.  There is HOPE!  Keep your chin up!
Elizabeth N.
on 11/12/11 6:34 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's much too early to make that determination. Give yourself some time. You aren't even completely healed from surgery yet.

Elia-B
on 11/12/11 11:19 pm
And please, whatever you do, don't try to fail with the sleeve on purpose thinking it's better to get it over with quickly.  Continue to work the process. Sounds like you're doing phenominally sticking with the rules.  Give yourself a chance to be an exception to the statistics.  
mellysarah03
on 11/13/11 1:14 am - Fort Myers, FL
 Keep trying to make it work. My best friend just had the sleeve 3 months ago and at first her loss was extremely slow (especially compaired to me) However she has now lost 40lbs and is not being as carefull as she should be (She seems to think she can eat like I can, to which I have told her this is NOT the case) I have some other friends considering restrictive only surgeries (mostly sleeve) because they dont want the upkeep we DSers have to maintain. Anyway. Try your best. I have known people that have suceeded with the VSG and kept it off. It IS possible.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

Most Active