Pregnancy after DS?

Renfairewench
on 11/9/11 3:27 am
Great profile view of the baby. Love the stretched out leg!   Have you named her yet? (or him).

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

bdocker
on 11/9/11 4:00 am
Beautiful Baby Buscuits! LOL

I have two children already but really want a third.

I am 37 and have been high risk the last two pregnancies so what's a third high risk? They are so worth it!

I realize it'll be at least two years and I'll have to have a stable weight. I'm okay with all that. My choice.

I just needed to be reassured that it was all doable.

Anyone know if C-sections caused adhesions that were problematic for the DS?

Thanks everyone!
newyorkbitch
on 11/9/11 4:42 am, edited 11/9/11 4:44 am
Just bear in mind that you will be close to 40 when you try to get pregnant.  It might not be easy...your fertility is declining very rapidly now.
Emily F.
on 11/9/11 10:04 am
On November 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM Pacific Time, bdocker wrote:
Beautiful Baby Buscuits! LOL

I have two children already but really want a third.

I am 37 and have been high risk the last two pregnancies so what's a third high risk? They are so worth it!

I realize it'll be at least two years and I'll have to have a stable weight. I'm okay with all that. My choice.

I just needed to be reassured that it was all doable.

Anyone know if C-sections caused adhesions that were problematic for the DS?

Thanks everyone!
 I've had two previous c sections and two lap surgeries for endometriosis and no problems for my ds.

Good luck. My only regret is I was not a cute preggers girl.
Bonnie R.
on 11/9/11 10:57 am - Stratford, CT
We're trying to have a baby now.  None of my doctors seem overly worried, but I did meet with a perinatologist to get his thoughts on things and make sure he was on board and understood the DS. Really liked him a lot and he seemed to understand the DS.  

As far as Vitamin A which is not good in high quantities, he said to me "it's what's your absorbing and your levels are normal, so I'm not worried about it."  That's what always made sense to me, but will continue to do more research.

My OB is not as clear on the DS, I asked her to prescribe 2 prenatal vitamins per day and she was shocked when I asked and said no.  Of course there was no guarantee our insurance would cover that anyway...but her response was very telling of her not understanding the DS.

Thank you for asking this questions.  The responses you have gotten have helped me as well.  Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 8:23 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Don't be afraid to change OBs! And you can buy prenatals OTC without a prescription. I know prescription may be cheaper if you have a low copay, but if you can't get a prescription for double, maybe just do the one prescription one daily and supplement with additional OTC version.

The vit A thing was tough for me to research - on PubMed, you only get access to most in summary form, not full text. They pointed to 20k IUs daily supplementation as being "dangerous," but I couldn't find anything that showed what the mothers' actual serum levels of vit A were. Undoubtedly, a normal person taking that much would have high levels. I wish they would more clearly distinguish between the dangers of high SUPPLEMENTATION versus the dangers of having high SERUM LEVELS in your blood - not necessarily the same thing!

But I have a super long common channel, and my A at my labs in July was already in the high 90s, so I just ditched the extra (my multis and the hair, nails & skin combo I take both also contain vit A pamitate, so it's not like I don't get any at all).

I also never switched to a prenatal. I did some Googling, and the primary differences between prenatals and standard multis is that the prenatals typically have more iron, calcium, and folate. Well, my folate was already unmeasurably high, and I already take extra calcium and iron separately, so...I just stuck with my multis. The only thing I added was a separate DHA supplement (algal form, not fish oil, which is supposedly better absorbed), which I take twice per day.
Bonnie R.
on 11/9/11 10:27 pm - Stratford, CT
 Thanks for all the good info!  I am also taking OTC prenatal.  Exactly my perinatologists point on the Vit A serum levels.  I'm due for blood work soon so depending on how that comes out for A, I may take less.  It's good to talk about this stuff!  Thanks for the dialogue.
Jade ..
on 11/9/11 2:00 pm - GA
 Just had a baby boy 9 weeks ago.  He's amazing.  it was a csection and no issues with him or me.  I kept up my vitamin and calcium routine but added prenatals.  I cut down on vitamin A my first trimester by reducing some of my vites the first trimester.  If you have any other questions just message me.  :)
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

jass28
on 11/9/11 10:50 pm - A Town, NJ
Congrats on the new baby.  I also had a baby 2 months ago.  He was born 9/3.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

bdocker
on 11/9/11 10:15 pm
Ladies, how informed you all are! Glad that my questions can help!

I've always had to have a perinatologist any way and now that I'll be closer to 40 that won't be changing at all. The only difference is that I won't be obese and I'll have to make sure that I take my vitamins and that my blood is monitored which my ob office already does.

For anyone have ANY issues with their OB - CHANGE YOUR OB!!

It's perfectly acceptable to do this. You need to have someone who listens to YOU. Its your body, life, and baby at stake. There will be someone to treat you and become aquainted with your new special needs. It may be that they just need to study your records or get records from your DS surgeon.

My OB from my first pregnancy was like a cattle processing plant. They yelled at you if you were over weight. You saw someone different every time. There was no modesty. It was just up on the table and some weight scolding and then a strange hand doing an exam. Or worse yet someone bumbling through because they never had an obese patient and freaked out if their equipment couldn't deal with an over sized patient.

The second time around I saw someone in a smaller office who was considerate of my prior experience. She treated ME. I had a wonderful second pregnancy and feel like she will take care of me after DS. But I would recommend anyone not having a pleasant experience with their OB to find someone else. You DSers are special people and need care and someone to listen. and pay attention and answer questions or get questions answered for you.

From my prior pregnancies I would say what Jill is saying just makes a lot of sense regarding prenatals. Prenatals are really for women who either weren't taking any vitamins or were taking very basic ones. Because of the special vitamin requirements of DSers I would say that if you are already taking elevated levels of vitamins then you should be fine. Contact your surgeon if needed about what the OB wants and maybe have special blood work done to just check that your levels of Vitamin A are not too high.

And on a really happy note - talked to DH last night and he's on board! I think I've offically made my decision. Calling the surgeon I want!
Most Active