Pregnancy after DS?

bdocker
on 11/8/11 11:56 am
I know that there is a board for TTC. But I haven't seen any DS folks there and just wanted to ask the "experts" if its possible to have a safe pregnancy after DS?

I've asked lots of questions in lots of places and am just curious. I know that the vites are a really big deal with DS but also know what an amazing tool it is as long as you stay on top of your labs.

So is it possible to stay healthy and eat for two?
prettypixels
on 11/8/11 12:21 pm
Yes! There are lots of healthy happy post-DS babies, and I think a few of our regular posters are currently pregnant.
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 9:11 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Of course! If you can keep yourself healthy, why couldn't you keep yourself and baby healthy?

I'm currently 20 weeks 1 day along. Everything has been just fine so far. I did change OBs during my first trimester - do be sure to find one that will be supportive and understanding of your sepcific needs. My first OB refused to ever run any nutritional labs, told me to stop taking ALL supplements besides the prenatals, and constantly referred to all WLS patients as "gastric bypass" patients despite my explanation that my surgery was different from the tandard gastric bypass.

My new OB and I work with my PCP to have labs run, and both my OB and PCP are fully on board with me sticking to a low-carb way of eating throughout my pregnancy. OB also understands that I do not want to go through the misery of the glucose tolerance testing, so my PCP prescribed me some home glucose test strips (I already had a glucometer from the type 2 diabetes I'd been battling prior to my surgery), and I just monitor my fasting and post-prandial glucose levels myself. My OB will also be giving me additional "growth scans" (ultrasounds) in the second half of my pregnancy since she said she won't be able to judge the size/growth of the baby based on MY weight/size (I currently weigh a few pounds less than when I first found out I was pregnant). She also knows I'm concerned because I was still taking high doses of vit A before I knew I was pregnant, and high vit A supplementation while pregnant can lead to physical deformities as early as 6 weeks, so she will be monitoring for any abnormalities physically during those growth scans as well. First OB had her head in the sand about all of this!
Jersey Girl
on 11/9/11 10:34 am
Jill, by how much did you need to reduce your vitamin A? 
A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 8:07 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I ditched my extra dry A palmitate (Vitaladay) completely. I'd only been taking the one 20k IUs each day, and my level on my labs was at the top of the range (high 90s). My multi and my hair, nails & skin combo both include some A palmitate, so I dropped the big extra. With my super duper common channel, A has never been much of a struggle for me, just wanted to keep it up. But to me, not worth potentially harming the baby, as there is no way of knowing how much I do or don't absorb.
Sunshine16
on 11/10/11 10:55 am
Hello Neighbor,

I'm currently living in Chantilly, Virginia and one day, soon I will like to start my own little family.  It is nice to know someone near by.  I'm sure I will be contacting you, and if you need any support during this time, please let me know. Congrats on your marriage and your beautiful baby.

Sunshine.
Violet S.
on 11/8/11 9:16 pm - NY
 I am currently 23 wks pregnant... this is my 3rd baby, but my first post-DS pregnancy.
I had DS 3 yrs ago.
You CAN have a safe, healthy post-DS pregnancy, but you MUST stay vigilant with your vitamins, labs (I get mine done every 6 weeks), hydration and protein.
I have been able to get enough protein without shakes since about 18 months post-op, but I can't fit as much in there now that I'm pregnant, so I'm back on protein shakes (usually once a day).
I've had to up my calcium citrate, and add a complete prenatal... otherwise I just look at what my labs are doing and adjust accordingly. My levels have stayed pretty steady on everything except iron... I received 2 sets of iron infusions when I was 17 wks pregnant to remedy that.
The bottom line is, healthy post-op pregnancy is possible, but requires extra care.  Good luck!

-V
bdocker
on 11/8/11 9:25 pm
Congrats ladies! I just hadn't stumbled across any pregnancies yet and the TTC board is a bit intimidating. Everyone here is so warm and encouraging about the research process.

Hubby is very very concerned about about the idea of DS. Especially with my goal of one more little one.
newyorkbitch
on 11/8/11 10:55 pm, edited 11/8/11 10:56 pm
I am 11.5 years post-op. I had a healthy baby in January.

How old are you?
M ..
on 11/9/11 1:54 am
Hi!!! I'm 2 years post-op, pregnant with my 3rd but first post-op.  I am currently seeing a perinatologist and my regular OB.  (and a hematologist since I was severly anemic, earlier this year.)  They are skilled and actually enjoy taking care of WLS moms.

They are being diligent with following my labs. Because i have a history of pre-eclampsia I am considered high risk. I have had a lot of Morning sickness so getting in my protien has been a bit hard. Im doing my best.

I'm currently 14 weeks and we are thrilled! i love that i have a belly! I was so fat before, you could never tell I was pregnant!

Here is Baby Biscuits (my 5 year old named the baby)

Lilypie - (bM9u)

Most Active