How long should I stick around?

determineddanni
on 11/8/11 1:44 pm
How long should I stick around in SLC after surgery? I am from Helena, Montana and its about 6 hours away give or take. My surgeon says for at least a couple days after discharge. I don't mind If I stick around a week after, if its thats ideal. Also to take note our hospital here in town is not that grande.....So if an emergency arose I wouldn't feel comfortable with them takeing me on... lol So with that in mind.

What time frame post-op do most complications, if any, arise?

How long did everyone else who traveled stick around for?

I have a two week post-op check up, would it be wise to stick around till then?

Just trying to figure out what might be coming out of my wallet
MajorMom
on 11/8/11 5:52 pm - VA
I'm thinking 2 weeks to be safe if you're that far away.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

happydsr
on 11/8/11 9:15 pm
determineddanni
on 11/9/11 1:12 am
I know I will be spending a lot in motel costs but it sounds worth it. Honestly I will be stressed a bit on money but saftey rates higher than money to me:) So I can definatly swing it :) Just need to bite that bullet.
southernlady5464
on 11/8/11 9:43 pm
My husband and I went to NYC for his surgery...we planned on staying a week. We traveled by train since my husband has this bad habit of wanting to drive and that was too soon in my opinion. Plus the cost of the train came in handy coming back...we did the handicap room (I have a disabilites tag for meds I take for a balance issue) and it was very comfortable. Going up we did a bedroom but it was a really tiny one.It was fine pre-op.

His surgeon told us we could head home about 2 days after he got out but we could not switch trains...sold out at that point. As much as it cost us to stay, it really was best that we stayed put that week. He was in MUCH better shape to travel when we did head home.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

determineddanni
on 11/9/11 12:28 am
Train! I didn't even think about using the train?! Good idea. I have never rode a train before... sad I know lol but it sounds like a very good idea. I have heard they have sleeping cars and different arrangements. What would you suggest if I were to be traveling by train?
southernlady5464
on 11/9/11 1:18 am
Amtrak has three levels of accommodations. One is the cheapest...you sleep in your seat. Second level is the "tiny" sleeping berth when you have almost no room but is fine for the trip up there. The last is first class/handicap (same level of service but slightly different rooms). We were in a handicap which gave us "LOTS" of room and allowed my husband to lay down without taking up the entire room. Also the bunks are a bit longer in the handicap, at least.

Also there is no limit to the luggage but you will need to be able to carry most of it yourself around places so be careful. And it's easier to take your own stuff (foodstuff, esp) at any of the three levels.

Where we got on, didn't have a baggage handler at the station so we had to wrestle it on..where we got on going home, they did have baggage service so someone else loaded it for us. But getting off on that end of the trip, we were back at our starting point and had to deal with luggage ourselves.

IF you've never traveled by train, make sure you sit FACING the way the train is going. Dh  got sick on the way up cause he wasn't. He did face the way the train was headed on the way back.

Either that or get some motion sickness patches unless you are positive it can't affect you.

And you can upgrade once on the train to a bunk if none are available when you make your reservation, IF they have an empty ones. That's how we got a bunk going to NYC...we were originally scheduled to sleep in our seats.

I would do it again if we ever need to travel along the lines they service.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

southernlady5464
on 11/9/11 1:20 am
Oh, and with train travel...you don't have to stop to go for a walk to stretch your legs, just get up and walk down the hall in the car or head to the dining room for liquids.

Liz

determineddanni
on 11/9/11 2:30 am
Well, I was super excited to do the train option and looked online.... we have no train stops anywhere near Helena, Montana. That so sucks! I was seriously thinking about it. That just sunk my ship :(
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 10:15 pm
I would plan to stay 10 days.
Most Active