OT--For Ms. Cal Culator who Loves OTs: The Duggar's

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/11 3:31 am
I got fifty bucks her uterus will fall out after this next one....well, one can hope.
adkmtngirl
on 11/15/11 4:58 am - Brant Lake, NY
While I could never fathom having 20 kids of my own. I do know pretty much how those children feel. I was 1 of 9 children in my family, and because my aunt & uncle both worked all the time (they were more poor than we were) we always had my 3 cousins over to our house as well so they were being cared for by family members.  I can honestly say, that I never felt deprived of my mom's attention (my fathers yes, but he walked out on us when I was 6yo, my mother did not tolerate him abusing my brothers, they hid it, when she found out he was gone within 2 hours) in all those years. She made it to all of our school plays & concerts, helped us with homework and and the only time she missed one of our many sporting events was when she had to work (she supported us solely by having a home based party business, so she worked 4 evenings a wee****il I was a teen). My older siblilngs were always allowed to participate in the school sports they wanted, they got jobs to save their own money and they had chores around the house. As we got older we had to do our own chores, but nothing too excessive. Yes, sometimes the older siblings helped out with the younger ones, after all, my sister maintained a 4.0 average in math, so when any of us struggled with a math assignmetn we went and asked her for help- even when she was away in college we would call her to get help. :)  

We were allowed 30 minutes of tv a day- which we had to take turns who chose plus we could watch the news. Mostly, we were outside playing on our families huge farm and 'running wild' with each other. So did she know where exactly we were, no. But I can attest to the fact that even with 3 children there are days it's hard to keep up with where my teenager is at all times. ;)

Honestly, the only person in my family who feels they were deprived of any of my mom's attention as a 'child' is my youngest brother, and that was only when he was 11 and she went out to work full time and still had her evening job doing the home parties. He felt gyped because she wasn't at home everyday when he got off the bus, even though my grandmother was there for him, and probably to compound that the rest of us still at home were doing other after school activities and sports, which he had no desire to join, so he didn't have us either. 

As for the Duggar's- those children have had many opportunities most children only dream of having. They are taught values, manners & respect for others. Does it really matter to anybody if their mom has a 20th child or a 30th? No, because in the end, they feed, clothe and care for their children and pay for it all themselves. Since when has it become so horrible for a family to take care of each other?? It wasn't long ago that children all had chores and responsiblity in their homes, which helps to make them more responsible and be upstanding citizens in our country. 

I'd totally think they were wrong to be having this many children if they just ignored them and let them run wild....after all, I haven't heard of any Duggars in gangs, robbing, stealing or murdering.... so they can't be doing too bad a job with them.

(now, let the fun begin) 
Kristina

Most Active