OT--For Ms. Cal Culator who Loves OTs: The Duggar's

PatXYZ
on 11/8/11 10:09 am
They will keep having kids until she dies or she hits menopause. The Quiverfull movement places a potential child's life over the mother's life, so risk to her isn't even in their mindset when they try to get her pregnant yet again.

My biggest concern is that they have the older children raising the younger children. I'd be interested in whether an investigation by Family Services would find that the Duggars are deprieving their older children of a normal childhood or violating child labour laws by requiring them to take on full-time childcare duties without compensation.

I just hate to see children being brainwashed in this way with little opportunity for balancing from the outside world. They are home schooled, including online college courses for the older children and have restricted access to the internet and no television. They are not allowed to date and the family prescribes how they must keep their hair. They take music lessons at home. It does not appear that they have regular contact with the outside world aside from running errands and attending church. This is NOT a normal family or upbringing.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/8/11 11:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
I ran across an interesting website by ex-Quiverfull women recently. I think it was called No Longer Qivering (misspelling is intentional on their part, though I forget why).

PatXYZ
on 11/8/11 1:30 pm
Wow, very interesting stuff.

http://nolongerquivering.com/
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 2:28 pm - OH
It wasn't all that long ago where having 10+ kids was pretty normal. Those kids helped with their siblings too, and had way more chores and responsibilites than kids today. I see nothing wrong with what the Duggars are doing. Their children are well-behaved, happy, and have excellent values.

I think it's very wrong to compare something as horrific as actually abusing a child to them having a large family. If you watch the show, you see that it's not some sort of creepy cult. They are a very happy family, with children that get out more than I do. Yeah the kids aren't allowed to watch tv, and they are very religious...but why does that make them bad parents?
MsBatt
on 11/8/11 5:10 pm
Because this planet is already TOO FULL of humans.

A hundred years ago, people had ten kids because that's what it took to get one or two to live to be adults. Since then, medical science makes it likely that EVERY kid will grow up to breed. Greater childhood survival SHOULD equal fewer births---but people like the Duggars are ******g the rest of us over.

Think of it as a genetic survival mode. If all of THEIR kids live, yours have a lesser chance to grow up and breed. That means that YOUR genes won't survive.
newyorkbitch
on 11/15/11 5:09 am
So following that logic, why should anybody be allowed to have more than one child?
Elizabeth N.
on 11/8/11 10:25 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Go read other former Quiverfull women's stories: http://nolongerqivering.com

This is NOT a benign movement. There are plenty of cult similarities involved.

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 10:13 pm
Ick. The planet truly cannot support that. Women's bodies cannot support that.
Imissthe80s
on 11/9/11 1:33 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Cool.   I actually learned something, hadn't heard of Qivering before. I don't pay much attention to them other than when they make headlines, which is usually to announce another pregnancy.  I need to investigate the actual religion.  Thanks for the food for thought everyone!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/9/11 2:10 am - Tuvalu

Most Active