Question for the ladies

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 5:16 pm - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I am wondering if once I have surgery and lose all this damn weight if my periods will get lighter.  Currently they are so bad I dont leave the house for the first week and they are lasting 2 weeks.  Will that improve with the weight gone?  Have any of you delt with it.  Or should I keep hounding my gyno doc about it?
Janet P.
on 11/4/11 8:14 pm
You can't count on anything after surgery especially because everyone is different so there really isn't a direct answer to your question. However, having a period that lasts 2 weeks isn't normal. What does your doctor say about it? Do you have fibroids?

For me personally, I was 45 when I had my DS. After surgery my periods were totally irregular for about a year -- basically my weightloss window. If I remember correctly (it was a while ago), they even stopped completely for several months. Then they came back and quite heavy and because of the heavy periods I became severely anemic. For me the heavy periods were because I had several fibroids. Ultimately I had a procedure to get rid of the fibroids, which also put me into menopause

Please get this checked out before your surgery.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kayla B.
on 11/4/11 8:46 pm - Austin, TX
They may.

My periods got SUPER heavy the first year though.  Sped through the tampons and back up pads at an amazing pace for a couple days out of the whole ordeal.  They got lighter once a lot of my weight was off.

Due to some crazy hormonal difficulties...I now no longer menstruate naturally at all...  Not that this is relevant to your situation, but I do like to remain open about what's been going on with me due to rapid weight loss.  As my endo says -- my pituitary is just not working right anymore, freaked out from massive weight loss, probably. 

I would still question the heavy periods.  That can really wreak havoc on iron levels post op.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
KellyJTn
on 11/5/11 1:02 am - Oak Ridge, TN
Mine didn't get any lighter, but they do come once a month, for 4-5 days like they are supposed to now.  I got an IUD, and now they are super light. Nothing like they once were. That's from the IUD though, not the DS.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 3:58 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I have been trying to get it figured out I went to my PCP and they sent me for an ultrasound which they said there was a fibroid then I got sent to the gyno doc who basically said that shes not sure if its a fibroid and even if it is she would only go so far as doing an ablation and throwing in an iud. I just want them to take the uterus out if its a fibroid. Then she said she wouldn't do a hysterectomy on someone my size but she would look into seeing if someone else would and get back to me in a couple of weeks. 2 months later I am still trying to get an answer back from them. My iron levels are good right now but post surgery if these periods are going to be causing my iron be hard to keep up I want to make sure its dealt with before hand.
Mdae
on 11/5/11 8:26 am
If you don't want kids, i would highly recommend both ablation and Essure.  I have both with no regrets.  i have panty-liner periods now, 2 days.

cajungirl
on 11/5/11 4:07 am
Mine got worse, much worse!  I ended up having a hysterectomy in 2010 after trying an ablation and it not working.  It's been awesome not to deal with it.

You look young in your picture, I do suggest you talk to your gyno depending if you still want children or not the ablation may be something you consider trying.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Purkinje_Fiber
on 11/5/11 6:12 am - TX
I lurk here from time to time. I had endometrial ablation year before last because of extremely heavy periods. I've had almost no period for the last 2 years and it's just now starting to come back but is much lighter. You can't have children after doing it so make sure you're done. It is a great way to postpone having a hysterectomy and works well if you don't have large fibroids. It's outpatient and you can be back at work the next day.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 8:35 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I am soo not worried about more kids I have 2 wonderful daughters, but I am done having anymore. With the older one having type 1 and various other issues I cant see having another child. So being able to never have to deal with a period again would be wonderful.
marvmissy
on 11/6/11 11:31 pm - MO
Mine stayed the same for several months after surgery then went to having a period every 21 days for 3-4 months and now I Haven't had one in about 7 weeks.