What is the worst side affect of the DS?

Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/4/11 2:39 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
I'm researching about the DS.  I was ready to get a RNY, but I'm afraid of all the side affects you get, dumping, vomiting and worse weight gain.  I already have the Sleeve so this would be the 2nd part. 

I hear that you have really loose & stinky bowels with the DS.  Is that the worst side affect? 

If you had acid reflux before what about after the DS?

Please reply.  Thanks.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

_Leslie_
on 11/4/11 2:49 am, edited 11/5/11 1:33 am - Franklin, WI
I have to take stool softeners to keep myself regular...

I hear a lot of people talking about crazy bad smelling poos... I admit, the first 6 months after surgery was wretched. Smelly and loose... but I think it was my body adjusting to my new insides..
Now, my boyfriend whom i live with, has no idea that a side effect of the DS is smelly poos. My poos smell just as bad as his. BUT, I do not eat white noodles or white rice.... I ate white noodles a few days ago for the first time since surgery and my poos smelled a little worse than normal, but no DHR... I'm going to pretend they effect my digestive system drastically so I still stay away from noodles, until I reach my final goal weight of 170-175lbs.

I poop twice a day in the morning. If I eat A LOT of food throughout the day, I may poop once again before dinner. They are not urgent and my body gives me A LOT of time to go.

I had bad acid reflux before surgery and I still had it the first year after. I was taking 2 acid reducers daily. I now find that I only need to take 1 daily (I'm thinking I might be able to ween myself completely off of them, but don't want to try right now... In due time, since I know its bad for calcium absorption/bone density)

sorry for rambling, I'm at work.

Good luck... I'd never have any other WLS besides the DS.

There is no way I would have gotten to my current weight with any other surgery besides the DS

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 2:49 am
The worst side effect is thinking you know all there is to know about the DS and then dissing the folks (fondly called vets) out there who have 'been there, done that, got the scars' - and then have to come back and meekly ask for help. Or worse yet, kill yourself by not listening to the board experience when it comes to vitamin schedules and doctors.

Oh wait, you're talking physical effects? Sorry. Letsee, I can control what I eat, so I can control any gas or stinky bowels. I had reflux before and still have it. I have mental illness (just slightly neurotic) before, and still have it (wait, not a physical effect).

If I eat too fast, I will have rapid decompression (ok, vomit). There can be weight fluctuations, but experience has shown that eating protein first and limiting carbs can control that. The DS is a  tool, not an end solution to weight loss.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Mdae
on 11/4/11 3:17 am
i can't eat pasta (gives me bad gas).  never liked it anyway.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 3:44 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Carb consumption issue aside - something that is VERY REAL is that you need to be bold enough to stand up to people (medical people) and stand up FOR yourself when it comes to your health.  Many medical folks do not have a CLUE about what a DSer REALLY needs in terms of care, in terms of what labs need checking, how often, what you NEED to do to care for yourself and you need to be able to get in people's FACE and advocate for yourself. 

If you are timid, if you would not go back to a doctor because he implied you were a "failure" and it hurt your feelings, then you *really* need to consider if you have the fortitude to stand up for you LIFE in the face of people not just implying things, but TELLING YOU NO.

Timidity, wishing things were different, and avoiding people/situations that make you uncomfortable - as far as I can do, do not make for a healthy and successful DSer, girlie. 

Good luck.
Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/4/11 10:24 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
I am far from being timid and that is VERY REAL.  If I would have said anything to the doctor, I would have cussed him out.  That would not have solved anything.  I was in shock and upset.  I don't know why you said I need to get in people's FACE and advocate for myself.   I am a happy person and I try to treat others like I want to be treated.  I am taking care of myself.  That is why I'm researching about the DS.  I know that you have been keeping track of me, I know that you believe that I have a big carb issue and I don't want to change.  You probably believe that I should work with the sleeve and not get a revision.  My problem with emotional eating is a problem that is getting resolved with my therapist and the advice she has been giving me.  Let me tell you this is my life and I will do what I see fit.  I don't need you to imply that I'm a weakling.  I am putting this all behind me and looking forward to the future and being successful. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 10:45 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

All I know of you is what you have shared for the past hand full of years.  That is all.  I have no need to follow you - you actually do not mean that much to me.  You are another human on the interwebs.  Who in the WORLD are you that I should keep track of you?  

You have no clue what I believe, so let me help you with that.  I believe you should do what you need to do and you should be well informed of all the costs.  I believe you have the right to be, and want to be healthy, happy and whole.  I believe when you ask questions that I have a point to share, that I should share.  Period.  THAT is what I believe. 

Its a bummer that you cannot hear when folks' heart is to be helpful, but it is what it is. 

Right on with success!  I have not wished you anything but.  Not once. 

Do good by you.  That's the only thing I have ever suggested. 

butercup
on 11/4/11 5:19 am - Kennewick, WA
I'm 6 weeks out. When I eat what I know will be fine, I don't think my poop smells any worse than before surgery. Now, if I mix in stuff that is known to disagree with my body, it ain't good and a fair amount of febreeze is used in the bathroom. Also never trust a fart is in full effect. It's all up to what you put in your mouth.
Kerry J.
on 11/4/11 5:40 am - Santa Clara, UT
OK, I'm just over three years out, so here is my take on your question:

The worst thing about having the DS is that you have to keep buying new clothes every month or so, for the first 9 months or until your weight stabilizes.

Other than that, I guess it's taking a handful of supplements 4 times a day. Not really a big deal, but it does get tiresome.

Here's the deal; with the DS you have to eat a lot. It takes a year or so before you can eat a lot, but it will happen, unless you have a really small sleeve. And when you eat a lot you need to eat lots of protein and fat. You can eat lots of carbs and you won't dump or get sick, but you will probably get gas and stinky loose stools. If you limit your carbs to a reasonable level, you will most likely have a huge dump every morning about 15-30 minutes after you get up; no matter when you get up. And most likely another load drop later in the day. For the most part, most have a softer stool, but some have the opposite problem.

You just have to learn how your system works and adapt. If you ignore how your system works, there's no way of guessing what you're going to see.

There's no way to tell, what side effects you're going to have until you've had the DS done and lived with it for a year or two. There is a litany of side effects that people have reported from lactose intolerance to iron deficiencies, but more are like me with no real side effects. I don't even have any deficiency problems I can whine about.

Kerry

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 5:49 am - Bayonne, NJ
Not for nothing, but post-RNY poop is no picnic, either.

I had severe reflux post-RNY, it's gone with the DS. I no longer vomit, no longer have reactive hypoglycemia, and I'm doing well. I was severely iron deficient 4-5 years out of RNY, and that's gone, too.

What's the worst? There's not much to complain about. I have to run to the can the minute I get up, and if I'm bad (read: I ate something laden with carbs) I'll have to go a lot and yes, it's stinky, but that's life.