Symptoms of Trouble for those a few years out?

ChristyTal
on 11/4/11 2:35 am
Hi all,

I am two years plus out, under goal, and still losing slowly.  Obviously, we must stay on top of our labs. 

But, I got wondering what symptoms I should take notice of that might indicate a medical emergency.  I'm thinking things like blockages, gall bladder attacks (I still have mine), etc. 

Anyone have a list of the most common issues (other than bad labs), and symptoms to watch out for, long term?

Thanks!

Christy

SW 333/GW 160/ CW 154

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/4/11 7:31 am
I just keep in mind "pain" needs to be checked out. 

Things like adhesions or petersons hernia can happen after surgery, but not every ones account sounds the same, and there's quite a bit of variation in the degree of pain, where it's felt, and whether it comes and goes, and how long.

I had a blockage that was total right after surgery with severe pain, then I've had a suspected partial blockage, that can come and go and be mild, or horrible. It will sometimes hurt in one spot, or other times refer pain to a different area. I've also heard that if there is strangulation (which is more what was going on with my first one) that the pain will then subside as the intestines start to die.

Because of that, I'm hesitant to list specifics, because I'd hate for someone to not get help they need, thinking it doesn't match something like a blockage.

So, if it hurts, get things looked at. I'm sorry I don't have anything more useful than that.

J G.
on 11/4/11 2:46 pm
Christy, I agree with Bearmom that any "pain" needs to be checked out, and that means even if it's 2:00 AM on a Saturday night and you've got to find a babysitter or whatever so that you can go to the ER.  ER trips are never fun.
I had a incarcerated hernia and I could tell that it had progressed to the "something's wrong" stage.  I have had a several suspected bowel obstructions and a couple of hospital stays.  And on the other hand, I had some mysterious jabs of pain that went away on their own.  So its kind of  comes down to eventually just knowing your own body.
Here's a link about gallbladder pain.  I went thru that pre DS.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/gallstones-topic -overview

HTH  Jenny
newyorkbitch
on 11/5/11 10:36 am
Pain
Vomiting
Blood in stool
Significant change in bowel function or quality of bowel movement

Pain is your body telling you something is wrong
Elizabeth N.
on 11/5/11 10:59 am - Burlington County, NJ
PAIN. Thou shalt not EVER ignore a bellyache.

Sudden changes in bowel stuff.

Development of heartburn, reflux, a recurrent feeling of a lump in your throat or chest. Doesn't have to be agonizing to be VERY significant. Three guesses how I know this.