Pre-op done, and a diet "concern"

Mdae
on 11/3/11 10:50 am
i agree in that i don't think that's enough vitamins.  i think sticking to just that is asking for trouble.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/11 4:35 pm - Lancaster, OH
On November 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, HeatherLynn wrote:
On November 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM Pacific Time, PatXYZ wrote:
Are you sure you're getting sufficient vitamins on $30/month? I'm planning my vitamins for post-op and am looking at closer to $100/month for just myself. Are you going by Vitalady's plan or your surgeon's? Because what your surgeon is recommending is almost certainly insufficient.
 My post op vitamins are recomended by my physician, I have no idea what this plan you speak of is. I will be taking the bariatric multi-vitamins, calcium, vit D and vitamin A. 
HeatherLynn, I would strongly urge you to research, for your own benefit, on this forum, what the vitamin supplementation CAN be like for some DSers.  Not all, but some.  Those who blindly follow their surgeon's recommendations find themselves in a world of hurt 6 months to a year after their DS.  You will be doing yourself a great big favor by finding out what "plan" PatXYZ is "speaking of".
Valerie G.
on 11/3/11 10:11 am, edited 11/2/11 10:12 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
You know, doing all natural and organic, I'm guessing that you're quite the cook and not very dependent on convenience foods right now. You can accomplish the same thing by learning to make these things yourself. Things like ricotta cheese pack a lot of protein, which I love to eat every morning, either as ricotta custard or ricotta fluff. It has 28g in one cup, and at 6 yrs post-op, eating a cup is no problem. Everyone is different. You may have no reactions to sugar at all, or may have worse reactions to artificial sweeteners. My non-professional but "lived it" recommendation is to concentrate on high protein and low simple carbs, and not sweat the complex carbs. They're partially mal-absorbed anyway, so they're almost free. There are so many other options out there, but many people are in no mood to cook post op, so these convenience items are turned to easily.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

HeatherLynn
on 11/3/11 10:26 am - TX
 Yes, I do cook a lot. I will be researching to try to find good alternatives. Is there a recipe board here? 
* Gail R *
on 11/3/11 1:27 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
For a while, someone was putting together a recipe board here. I don't know what happened to it. Maybe someone will come forward with it. I started collecting recipes that people posted on this board It is a huge file but it is filled with high protein ideas and recommendations for things that seem to agree with people during the first few months, as well . I used a few of them but found that, since I love to cook and know what my family likes, I didn't use it much. I can send it to you if you contact me with your email address.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

M. Miller
on 11/3/11 11:43 am
 I had my first Nutritional Counsel today with Dr. Stewart's office as well.  I have researched so much and was prepared for the reccommended foods list, as my friend just finished her required NUT classes for the VSG...its is the same list, pretty sure no matter what surgery you get it is the same list.  I am not concerned at all, we only drink water in our house...no soda or crystal light etc (many preservatives and artificial sweeteners give me migraines),  I plan plan plan our menu every week now and think eventually I will be able to get the required protein without protein shakes post op.  I have been tracking my food intake for over a month and without even trying I am getting 70-100 grams of protein a day right now, change my oatmeal breakfast to eggs or egg white with some bacon, add some ricotta or other cheese, cut back my carbs and I think I will be fine.   I detest protein powders.   

I think if you are accustomed to planning and cooking your own meals, you will do just fine.
* Gail R *
on 11/3/11 1:28 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
I very seldom use protien suppliments except for conveniance when traveling.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

MajorMom
on 11/3/11 7:25 pm - VA
Vitalady's vitamin plan and schedule link: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

Work up to it slowly. When you get your labs, get a copy for yourself and start tracking them on a spreadsheet to see trends. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fullhousemom
on 11/4/11 2:51 am
 I think there was some confusion in these early posts about pre-op vs post-op vitamins. My Ds doc told me pre-op to stay away from ALL artificial sweeteners. Post-op, sugar free popsicles were recommended- and they gave me horrible cramps. No more artificial sweeteners for me ever. That said, my doc has always pushed for protein ( eggs for bfast, ckn for lunch, steak for dinner), with veggies. If you like to cook, you will probably fare much better than those who eat the packaged food!  Best of luck. You already have some very good healthy eating habits!  
Chad M.
on 11/4/11 3:12 am, edited 11/4/11 3:12 am - Indianapolis, IN
You can eat as naturally as you like post-op. Immediately after, in the recovery period, you are going to need to eat whatever works for you. At this point, though, I prepare 80% or more of my own food and it tends to be meat (meaning something cut off an animal, not something pressed together after a food processor got ahold of it), (real) cheese, etc.

The most processed thing I eat on a regular basis is bacon. I rarely anything canned and never any boxed dinners. If I have soup (not generally a high-protein choice), I probably make it myself.

Your only real requirement for a life with the DS is a high-protein diet. That can be done within just about any parameters you want to put on it.