Hair loss?

Elizabeth N.
on 11/4/11 8:02 am - Burlington County, NJ

I had a lot of hair (except for up front, which is where I now have the worst balding issues) but it was very fine.

By all means, go wig shopping and learn to have fun with it! Go to an ethnic hair supply store though, not to a hoity toity "wig shop." The wig shop prices are outrageous in comparison and the quality is not necessarily better.

Valerie G.
on 11/4/11 10:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
My hair is super-fine, but it's impressive what the right haircut and hair products can accomplish.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 5:50 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hair loss happens with many types of surgery, not just WLS. I lost hair post-RNY, post-plastic, and again with the revision. My very thick, curly hair is now very thin curly hair, so at least the curls cover the thin patches. At almost 2 years, it hasn't come back to fullness. I guess age has something to do with it as well.
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 6:04 am
Well, I am not 'normal' so take it for what it's worth. I did not lose any hair. I was 52 and had thick fine hair and I still do but I think that the majority lose hair.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!!

Michele
KellyJTn
on 11/4/11 8:10 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I had super thick hair pre-op and now at 15 mths out I am still losing it. It's still normal looking though, no bald spots or anything, just thin. A lot of people don't even notice it though because I still have quite a bit left.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

allraindrops
on 11/4/11 4:28 pm
Anyone out there that did NOT start out with thick hair?
Janet P.
on 11/4/11 8:47 pm
As you've already seen/heard it can and will happen. I have short and very fine hair but fortunately started with alot of it. Like everyone it started to fall out around month 4 and last 5-6 months. There weren't as many products on the market then (almost 9 years ago) so I started using nioxin and my hairdresser said that helped with the regrowth (you could see the regrowth at the hairline). I also continued coloring my hair during this period (no way I was not going to color it) and that didn't seem to have an effect.

I still have a head full of hair -- maybe a little thinner but nothing that requires hats/wigs, etc.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ambermay
on 11/6/11 1:37 am
I am 3 months post op.  I started taking 5000 mcg of biotin pre surgery and then increased it to 10,000 mcg post surgery.  I noticed a couple weeks ago the amt of hair falling out increasing ALOT.  I added hair, skin, and nails to the regimine yesterday.  My hair is super fine and thin to begin with... I don't want to lose to much... but I know it is going to happen.  I guess it is all part of it.  At the end of the day I will shave my head bald for how great I feel.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber