Got The Ball Rolling!!!

lovy19
on 11/2/11 2:21 am, edited 11/2/11 2:31 am
  Good afternoon everyone,   I am so excited, I went to the required seminar at Lenox hospital and personally met with Dr. Roslin, he thoroughly explained each procedure and was very honest about why each may or may not work for a specific individual.  The seminar was fantastic,  had some concerns about the insurance part of things especially for a revision from lap band to DS and I was told to just make sure I have all the paper work they ask of me and they will take it from there.  They even went on to say if the deny insurance they will appeal and it's very rare that they lose an appeal especially with lapbands because it is not normal for a person to have to live with a foreign object In their body that is not working for them.  Today I called the hospital to set up my appointment with Dr Roslin for a consultation, that was set for Dec 7, on that day I will also be able to see the nutritionist and psychologist.  When I set it up they stated after I am finished with appointments  a surgical consultant will be there to tell me what I must do next.   

Just think I contacted my former surgeon to get my records and his assistant tried to discourage me by saying they dont think I can get a revision because hip will only pay for bariatric surgery once i  a life time and the insurance company will also say I failed the band because I stopped getting fills , I went on to say with each fill I would regurgitate And I still do without the fill, she went on to say that I should have contacted them and came to see the surgeon, but I told her that he don't listen to what I have to say he just tell me what he is going to do, she then said why dont you come in and speak to him to see what he can do, I said but you told me I can't get a revision so why am I coming in , she didnt respond so i Said please have my paper work so I can pick it up.   Thank you all for referring Dr. Roslin. And Lenox hospital I pray everything works out.  
larra
on 11/2/11 3:37 am - bay area, CA
Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Don'****e time arguing with the staff at the old surgeon's office. They are never going to see it your way no matter what has happened to you. It is not in their best interest for a potential paying customer to leave them. Just stay focused on what is in YOUR best interest.

Larra
lovy19
on 11/2/11 5:06 am
 Hi LArra, 

You right I'm done arguin with them, my only concern now is making sure my pcp will give me the referral to see dr Roslin.  He and my previous surgeon are friends he refer all of his patients to him, but he is also a nice pcp so I hope he has no problems with giving me the referral. I know when doctors are Not knowledgable with a certain procedure they are hesitant.
scoob
on 11/2/11 4:03 am - Somerset, KY
Exactly what Larra said!

So happy for you.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

sandyv63
on 11/2/11 4:22 am - Naples, FL
I am so happy it is working out for you! I knew Dr. Roslin wouldn't turn you down and you are definitely in good hands with him. Get ready for the ride of your life!
lovy19
on 11/2/11 6:39 am
 Thank you Sandy.  Now I concerned with my pcp because he is friends with previous surgeon And also has no knowledge of DS surgery, I hope he will write the referral for me to see Dr. Roslin because my insurance requires a referral from my pcp.
sandyv63
on 11/2/11 9:44 am - Naples, FL
I have to educate my PCP about the duodenal switch as well. It is a rare thing to find a PCP who knows anything about the DS. Go to dsfacts.com and print out some info for your PCP.  I would print out the duodenal switch procedure which has a picture of the changes the DS makes to your digestive system and explains how the DS works. You can find this under the Pre-op tab on the left side of the homepage.  From there, click on 'procedure.' Actually, here is the direct link:  http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-explained.html  

I would also print out the article that compares the DS to the RNY procedure because your PCP will likely be familiar with the RNY. The comparison will make it easier to understand how the DS works and why it is so very superior to the RNY (or any other bariatric surgery.) Here is the direct link:  http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html

You can go to the 'Resources' tab on the left side of the page and click on articles and see if there are any journal articles you think might be helpful. Or you can give the dsfacts.com website address to your PCP and let him/her decide what to read.  If you have an open minded PCP, educating him/her won't be too difficult and I doubt it matters that your PCP knows your other surgeon. I think the fact that the band did not work for you speaks for itself and no decent doctor would want you to continue with a surgeon who can no longer help you. Make sure your PCP has Dr. Roslin's contact info in case he/she needs to contact him in the future.

If your PCP is not open to learning about the DS or won't write your referral letter, find one who will work with you. There are plenty to choose from in the metropolitan area and you might even be able to get a referral from Dr. Roslin. Who better than he would know which doctors are DS friendly?  Can I ask you which borough you live in? I'm originally from Astoria in Queens.
lovy19
on 11/2/11 10:40 am
 Hi sandy I live in Brooklyn new York.  My pcp usually has no problem writing referrals that I may need but I am preparing myself for any obstacles I may come across.  I have an appt to see my pcp next week because he wants to check my pressure to see if it went down, I will discuss with him then what my intentions are and also if he is not familiar with DS surgery provide him with the literature.  I told Lenox hospital that I will be seeing him next week. they stated because my insurance will not kick in until dec 1st i could not get the referral because with hip medicaid it is electronic b ut they did give me doctor Roslin hip ID# and their fax number so that when dec 1 st come around I can give the info to my pcp to have referral faxed.  If I do have problems with my pcp I am going to contact Lenox to see if they can refer a pcp to me.  Thank you so much for the info and advice.

Frankie
on 11/2/11 4:24 am - NY
Good luck to you.  Doc Roslin is the best.  My insurance denied me but good Doc Roslin did a peer to peer with them and I was approved, hence I had my surgery done on September 26th.  Don't let your prior surgeon's office discourage you. 

Before you know it you will be on your way.  Keep us posted.

Frankie

lovy19
on 11/2/11 6:36 am
 Hi Frankie I have a stupid question. What is a peer to peer, and if you don't mind me asking why were you denied.  I'm just trying to prepare myself for whatever comes my way, my. Inverness now is my pcp writing the referral for me to see Dr. Roslin, since he is friends with my previous surgeon.  I have been reading on the site where some had to see different pcp, although mine is fairly nice and understanding he has no knowledge of DS surgery.