$5,000 later ......I AM committed to this :)

lamp35
on 11/2/11 10:11 am
I officially made my "open enrollment" insurance changes at Duke today.

My premium is going up just under $1,000 per year and I had to set aside the $4,000 co-pay into a Health Care Reimbursment plan....so thats an extra $416 per MONTH coming out of my check in 2012.

Im just grateful that Duke covers WLS for their employee's now. For the longest time they didnt, yet promoted one of the best bariatric surgery centers in the US....go figure

So.....the financial commitment is made.....now its time to continue building up the mental and physical commitment
M. Miller
on 11/2/11 11:28 am
 Yay for you.  I too am switching insurance to a more WLS friendly insurance during open enrollment.  No deductible.  150 dollar surgeon copay, no anesthesiologist co pay, and 150 dollar a day up to a maximum of 750 dollars maximum for hospital stay.  So the surgery and hospital stay will cost me at the most 100 dollars (already put away in a savings account).  Even nutritional counselling is covered at a 25 dollar co-pay...a first.  

Good luck on your journey, I am hoping to get switched the first half of next year.

shona
nightowl
on 11/2/11 6:18 pm - Topeka, KS
That is interesting about Duke promoting WLS they perform, but didn't cover for their own!  I'm glad that has changed, but still, man!, $4k as the co-pay seems harsh (it would be for me at least).  Would they require that much for a hernia, say?  (Not that I am asking you to look it up, but it seems like more discrimination against fat people.)

I was glad to hear that the hospital where mine was done does cover WLS for their workers.  (It is less common in KS for WLS to be covered than what seems to be the norm in much of the rest of the country.  A big part of this is because the biggest private health insurer in KS, Blue Cross/Blue Shield of KS, steadfastly has had total exclusion of all WLS, unlike some of the other BC/BS affiliates/licensees around the U.S.) 
girlygirl1313
on 11/2/11 8:35 pm - Davidson, NC
 YaY!  I have the same type of insurance.  It's worth it!  especially when you start seeing the bills roll in and how pricey it would have been if you paid out of pocket.  Get your surgery as early in the year as possible to take advantage of 100% coverage for the remainder of the year .

~GG

kahlana
on 11/2/11 11:38 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I switched insurance coverage back in July but forgot to ask about my co-pays for all this, thanks or the reminder!