Long, boring, OT. (Deal with it, I'm on pain meds until Friday.)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/2/11 9:01 am - Tuvalu

So, I looked at a really old photo--mybe 60 years old--of a childhood friend who died in her 40s leaving behind an 18-year-old.  And I checked a few resources and discovered that the friend's mother--92 years old-died in August.  And I felt bad knowing that I am probably the last person on the planet that can fill in some of the blanks if my friend's daughter wants some of the day-to-day dirt from when we were itty bitty kids.

I pouted for a while and then I remembered that a family member held elective office in another state.  I checked that political body's website and found ONE person with the same first name.  I went to wikipedia and the person was born in the same state as the lady who just died.  I took a chance and sent an email.

It WAS the right person...still holding elective office.  I soon got a phone call from the daughter of my deceased friend.  She then explained that she had just picked up BOXES of photos from her grandmother's house and she said, "Like this one...I can see my mom and some nun."  I interrupted and said, "Did the nun have 'flying nun' headgear?"  She did.  I said, "Oh...that was either third or fourth grade..." and went on to identify where the photo was taken.  The daughter was excited.  She has a BOX full of photos that don't mean much without narrative.  She's scanning them and I have a new project.

That was kind of fun.

~~

Yeah...the pain meds.  I have like a lifetime supply of Vicodin and on the rare occasion that I use it, I take HALF tablets...MAYBE two or three times a day. 

This time it's the RV.  Every time I go somewhere in that damned vehicle, I end up doing something to my sacroiliac joint.  The "treatment" is marcaine and a steroid of some kind, shot right into the little space between the bone under fluoroscopy.  Essentially, they numb the suspected area and if it stops hurting...yeah...it was sacroiliac joint problems.  And then they add the steroid.
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 10:30 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
Oh Ms.Cal thats sooo exciting. Brings tears to my eyes that you can tell your friends daughter the stories her mother never got to tell her. As someone who is stuck trying to piece together my family history due to issues that happened when I was a child, I know just how much that means to her. I am sure she cant wait till you can tell her more stories.
provolisa
on 11/2/11 10:31 am - Provo, UT
That sounds like a very kind, useful, project. I hope you get as much out of it as the person you are helping. And I hope your sacroiliac joint behaves itself soon!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 10:41 am - TX
 I'm sorry you hurt but SO glad you went in the RV.  We loved time with you!

And I agree with others, there is nothing more wonderful that havign someone who can fill in the blanks of family stories.  What a great opportunity!!
amccu18007
on 11/2/11 10:45 am - Newark, DE
That is awesome of you to do that for your friends daughter. She will be able to keep those memories for any future family that she has which is really special. Sorry that you are iain, that is the pits I hope that you feel better soon!
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

M. Miller
on 11/2/11 11:33 am
 Awesome!  So important that you can fill in those blanks.  Good for your friends daughter and good for you.  Brought tears to my eyes. 

I am neurotic about scrapbooking...probably because all my childhood photos have been lost from a myriad of move (dad was military) and my parents cannot really tell the story of the pictures that are left.  I have over 20 filled scrapbooks ranging from the year I got married to now, and probably a another album worth of pages yet to be put in a scrapbook.  I gotta tell you those albums were a life..err marriage saver...during a rough time in our marriage..to be able to look at those and see everything we have experienced built, was well..really kind of awesome.  I am planning on documenting this journey in its own dedicates scrapbook...

\Shona
Twyla S.
on 11/2/11 11:48 am - Chattanooga, TN
 There's just something comforting about knowing family history.  I don't personally know alot of mine, but for some reason having a family history ( some long distant cousin on my grandmother's sisters, uncles, etc. side, came by and put all of ours together......goes back to the 1700s in middle TN.....WOW) makes you feel good.  It's really great that you're doing this for her!  Just enjoy the buzz with the pain meds.....I hate the blasted things too!

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
BeSwitched
on 11/2/11 1:28 pm, edited 1/23/12 2:26 am

Diane Davis
on 11/2/11 2:49 pm
You're the best Sue!  Everyone has a "need" to know where they came from as well as their family.

Hate that you're hurting.......was it the RV ride or the ride in the RV!!!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Larissa P.
on 11/2/11 9:56 pm - Denton, TX
Way cool on your part to reach out like that.

Wait...I thought you were a *****
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB