Surgical Consultation Tomorrow

provolisa
on 11/2/11 10:55 am - Provo, UT
I am going to meet Dr. Simper for the first time tomorrow. If nothing goes wrong, he will then write my letter of medical necessity, and my insurance application will go in. All this time, I have been getting the preliminaries done for my insurance application. Now, it is getting REAL. Kind of scary.

I have to go to Salt Lake City for the appointmet. My sister is going to take me. By good fortune, she is a nurse, and has to work at the hospital where his office is, tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is a 12-hour shift, and I will have to amuse myself for the rest of the day. I am going to take my knitting. I wish that I had a support person going with me, but no-one is available.

So, it is time to buck up, and go see The Man. I will take notes on what he says. I know I want to ask him how big of a sleeve he likes to leave, and how long a common channel he likes to create. Please tell me any other questions that I need to be sure to ask.

I am discovering that I have an emotional attachment to my soft, rounded body. Who would have thought?

I get these waves of fear over the thought of surgery on my perfectly functioning digestive system. But then I look at how it has been functioning way too well, and it has been taking over the rest of my life!. And that this surgery is a tool that will help me get back into the driver's seat, and be able to properly regulate my weight.

I guess that the reason why I am writing this is for a little bit of support for tomorrow. My family is 100% behind me, but can't go tomorrow for a variety of reasons. I live in a nursing home where the staff is very supportive. But I have to get up at 4:30 am tomorrow to be in Salt Lake by 6:30 for my sister to get to work. The appointment is at 11 am. Then, I'll have to kick around the hospital till 7:30 pm for my ride home.

I suppose it is actually kind of good that I am going to have to go it alone. After all, I will be the one throwing up and having gas pains and running for the toilet, so if I'm going to have to do all of that alone, it is just as well that I step up to the plate now. I guess I was feeling kind of sorry for myself. But it has passed.

I almost didn't post this, because it seems silly now, but I think I will go ahead, so that you can get to know me a little bit. I hope to be joining you on the Dark Side pretty soon, now.

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

gak
on 11/2/11 11:26 am
Revision on 06/21/13
You can do this..one step at a time... just keep on taking that NEXT step !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Twyla S.
on 11/2/11 11:39 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Bless your heart darlin' you know I'm right there with you with all of the scary feelings.  If you lived closer, I'd be right there with you....I'm always good at being the strong one, but SUCK when it comes to me...LOLOL  Then I'm the weenie from hell!  Just think....this is the beginning of your NEW life.  Everything will start to change.  YOU are doing this for YOU!  Yes, I have the same problem thinking about messing with something that was divinely designed and has worked so well.....too bad some of the other stuff don't work well along with it!

You got this.  Straighten your shoulders and back and walk in there like you ain't skeered a bit.....ok, maybe one or two whimpers will be ok.....lots of luck to you, you'll do fine!  

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
determineddanni
on 11/2/11 11:48 am
Good luck!
I can tell you now that Dr. Simper likes 100 cc but I cannot for the life of me remember the stomach size So when you get that size can you reinform me of it lol Also I will be turning my insurance stuff in this week as well (being held up by my sleep study results i did yesterday). So we will be going through the same process at the same time.
provolisa
on 11/2/11 6:09 pm - Provo, UT

THANKS for the votes of support, you guys! It was really nice to wake up to! Danni, that is really nice that you and I are going to go through the same thing at nearly the same time with the same doctor!

Well, "onward and upward!"

Lisa

Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

nightowl
on 11/2/11 6:49 pm - Topeka, KS
Sending good vibes your way for the appointment, travel logistics, and insurance approval!