Just met with my New PCP

Switch_Me
on 11/2/11 12:09 am - Baltimore, MD
So I just had my first visit with my new PCP and was very pleasantly surprised!  He of course voiced his concern of my weight and that is when I brought up that I am planning on having the DS done next year.  He didn't really know what the DS was, he went on a little RNY speech and how it helped people lose but then you had to be careful about regaining.  That was a perfect opportunity for me to give more info on the DS and the statistics on long-term weight loss and how the anatomy differs from the RNY but how that also leads to significant malabsorption of fat and protein and how I would need stringent lab work done postop to keep an eye on several different levels (fat soluble vits, etc...).  He was really receptive and said he was up to the challenge of learning what I'd need and making sure I got it!  He ordered a 6 vials worth of labs today including baseline labs my surgeon requested without any question.  He aslo ordered a ultrasound to check my gallbladder to see if it will need to be taken out at the time of surgery.

This guy was a lucky find!  He seemed really enthusiastic about helping me along with this process. 

Just thought I'd share my good experience!

Have a great day everyone!
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 12:24 am
Glad you found one who gets it. I went thru 4 before I found one who was even willing to learn about the DS. She was very interested in it too. Her PA is amazing. I had some really interesting interviews with pcps I took my little DS pic I printed out and had reactions ranging from "OMG WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF WILLINGLY"  to " I CAN"T TREAT YOU I DON"T HAVE TIME TO WATCH YOUR LABS THAT CLOSE".. I know the relief you are feeling. It is good to have someone you can trust to partner with for you health.
M. Miller
on 11/2/11 12:53 am
I would be interested in knowing who he is, even though I am in texas we still own a house up in Gaiensvilel GA and if I could get a job there I would move in an instant, which would require searching for a whole new PCP Post OP.
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 1:37 am

Glad you found a good one! 
Switch_Me
on 11/2/11 9:15 am - Baltimore, MD
Staceeann - Wow, didn't have time to watch your labs?  Jeez...  but yes, this guy is a "young" go-getter.  I'm thrilled that this guy is easy to work with and not a "fat basher."  I've had a lot of docs do nothing but chastize me for being as heavy as I am... This guy gets it - he really made it apparent that he *wants to help*!!
Switch_Me
on 11/2/11 9:15 am - Baltimore, MD
M. Miller - will PM you.
Renfairewench
on 11/2/11 10:45 am
My PCP is an idiot. I have given him all the information on DS, given him all the websites and verbally showed and told him everything yet whenever I go to see him regarding anything about my surgery (such as labs) he always says I have to go back to the surgeon because I'm too complicated a patient (WTF? Have you ever heard such bull****). I once asked him why do I pay him for said advice. So whenever I have any issues are need something I have to call up the PCP's office, request a referral, and drive two hours to go see Dr. Greenbaum. 

If I have a cold or the flu or need a shot of whatever I go to him, but for anything post surgically related I don't even bother. 

Now, the hematologist I go to for iron infusions. He's amazing. He wanted to know everything he could about the DS because so far the only person that is a patient that has a DS that goes to him is me. He does have a lot of RNYers.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Switch_Me
on 11/2/11 12:01 pm - Baltimore, MD
 Wow...  well you know, what do they call the guy/gal that graduates last in his/her class in med school?   ....Doctor.  It's sad to hear stories about docs who just are either disinterested, lazy, etc and don't want to take the time to work with "complicated" patients.  Granted - the numbers of patients each practitioner sees a day is rising, many places are scheduling patients into 5 minute appointments.  It's hard to take care of folks in 5 minutes!  I digress.  I'm glad your hematologist treats you right!