DS and Autoimmune Diseases

Imissthe80s
on 11/1/11 7:53 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Has there been much discussion of the possible aggravation of existing autoimmune diseases in relation to the DS? Also, could an autoimmune disease be caused by the DS, or was it simply dormant and coincidentally reared its head post-DS?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/1/11 7:59 am - Tuvalu
Who knows?

And it would apply to any malabsorption, so RnY would be suspect as well...as would, I imagine, diseases that cause malabsorption, such as CF.  In fact, I have three friends who--post-RnY--have presented with MS symptoms.  It could be MS...it could be something that looks like MS...it could be from malabsorption...it could be they were predisposed...it could be both.

Imissthe80s
on 11/1/11 8:05 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Sue- "What ifs" drive me bonkers! I love absolutes absolutely! That would maybe be a reason not to get surgery, as it's a crapshoot for sure.  Grrrrr! Where's the DS Crystal Ball when you need it, or even a Magic 8 Ball?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/1/11 8:14 am - Tuvalu

I think it was easier for me because I was 59 when I had the revision.  My cardiologist was the same age.  I told him that no one knew for sure what kinds of complications I might be facing in 15 or 20 years, but--as sick as I was--the promise of even BAD health 15 years from now sounded better than the promise of a grave...which was the other option and was a "for sure."  He saw it that way, too.
determineddanni
on 11/1/11 8:12 am

I have an autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's Disease, so mine was definatly pre-op. I heard though that having an autoimmune disease gives you a higher chance of being diagnosed with another autoimmune disease. I believe I read that on wikkipedia. Also I think autoimmune diseases are mostly passed down geneticly. Not all but most. For example: My aunt had graves disease and my grandma and 2 other great aunts have hashimoto's disease.
I would like to hear the replies of other post of WLS patients who have autoimmune diseases. I have been very curious if it helps conditions or worsens them.

sandyv63
on 11/1/11 11:45 am - Naples, FL
Great topic. I also have Hashimoto's which was undiagnosed (or I guess I should say misdiagnosed) for years. I actually had a mass removed in April so my thyroid is no longer whole. While the surgeon was in there he noticed my thyroid was very warty. Prior to the surgery, I required 75mcg of Cytomel a day. I do not convert T4 so it had to be Cytomel. 75mcg is a large dose. Anyway, after the surgery I declined quickly and I started to look into alternative treatments. That's when I found out about low dose naltrexone (LDN.) It has been amazing for me, just absolutely amazing.

I knew it would stop the progression of my Hashimoto's and possibly reduce the dose of Cytomel I needed but I was totally unprepared for what happened. For Hashimoto's, the dosage is 1.5mg eventually working your way up to 3mg. For other autoimmune diseases the dosage is 4.5mg.  I called the compounding pharmacist to get dosing info because I wanted to know what to tell the surgeon who did my partial thyroidectomy. I assumed he'd never heard of LDN and I was correct so I printed out the entire page on lowdosenaltrexone.org and asked him to read it and consider prescribing it for me. A week later he called me and gave me the script. I was only on 50mcg of Cytomel and I didn't increase because the pharmacist had warned me that LDN would require me to reduce my thyroid meds quickly. Because I was undermedicated at 50mcg of Cytomel and because I started at the lowest dose of LDN, I did not need to reduce my Cytomel dosage at first.

I stayed on 1.5mg LDN for about 6 weeks before getting blood work done. I also saw the surgeon again for a follow up and he gave me a script for 3mg LDN. This was early last week. His office called me Friday to tell me my TSH was suppressed and I have to mention that my TSH prior to going on LDN was over 5. I was astonished. I also realized that the symptoms I had been experiencing late last week were from being overmedicated once I started the 3mg dose of LDN. That's how fast it works. I thought I was overly stressed about my upcoming DS surgery, but once I reduced my dosage from 50mcg of Cytomel down to 12mcg (big, huge difference!), my symptoms stopped.

For those of you with an autoimmune disease, the DS is not likely the culprit. Autoimmune diseases are caused by  faulty immunity. LDN works by suppressing the production of endorphins for a short period of time while you sleep, which then prompts the brain to flood your body with endorphins. This in turn regulates your immune system and puts the breaks on whatever autoimmune disease you have. It works particularly well in Hashimoto patients but it is most heavily used for MS. It is also utilized in cancer treatment/prevention and a host of other ailments. Once on it, it will stop the progression of your autoimmune disease and possibly reverse some of the damage. It will also prevent other autoimmune diseases from developing. On the lowdosenaltrexone.org website there is a video from a doctor who cured a Crohn's patient with LDN. However, most of the time LDN stops the progression of an autoimmune disease. One wonderful side effect of LDN is improved mood. I no longer feel the need to off my annoying co-worker.  Now that I've been taking LDN, just duct taping her mouth shut would satisfy me.

Naltrexone is an FDA approved medication but low dose naltrexone is an off-label use so you can get a script if you have an open minded doc. If you have an autoimmune disease or know someone who does, please visit www.lowdosenaltrexone.org for more information. It has changed my life and I am very happy to pay it forward.
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/1/11 8:53 am - Sedona, AZ
I had hear that our immune systems were primarily in our intestines and wonder now if there is a correlation? I dont have one nor know anyone in my family to have one but I am curious about it.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

buffalobillsfan
on 11/1/11 9:40 am - CA
I don't know if the medical community knows enough about causes of autoimmune diseases.  I've read quite a bit that suggests it could be food allergy related.  It never hurts to eat cleanly and keep processed foods out of your life.  I think it is no coincidence that the crappier society eats that the more people there are with autoimmune diseases.

I have a family full of Rhuematoid Arthritis and Lupus and I have high viral infections that have probably been passed down to me.  I think I was primed for it and then a heavy bout of strep throat and mono at 8 years old sent me into a lifelong battle with it.

I think that the autoimmune disease itself is still kicking but the loss of comorbidities and weight make it much easier to live with.  Plus I know what it is now and can focus on it.  Today I had my first session with a accupuncturist to try and treat it that way. 

amccu18007
on 11/1/11 9:43 am - Newark, DE
I have ra and agree with the pp. My disease is still there but I find it easier to deal with being lighter. Less weight on my joints equals less pain for me.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

happydsr
on 11/1/11 1:04 pm