RNY Revision in Feb-only 20 lbs lost-looking at DS for good!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 11:50 pm
If you are 5'3 and 215lbs then your BMI is 38.1
If you are 210, then it is 37.2.

Insurance is most likely not going to touch that.
larra
on 11/2/11 2:28 am - bay area, CA
There are several different issues going on here. The most important is your health, as it sounds like you have a lot of weight-related health issues than neither your RNY nor your revision have fixed. 
     So the first question is whether or not a real RNY to DS revision surgeon would feel that this complex, higher risk surgery is justified for you. It's always a question of potential risks vs. potential benefits. Only the surgeon can determine this. So you need to get into contact with a surgeon who does RNY to DS revisions, and as others have pointed out, they are few and far between. I don't know whether on not Dr. Stewart is doing this type of revision. The other options are Drs. Keshishian and Rabkin in CA, Dr. Roslin in NY, and Dr. Gagner in Montreal.
      The next question is your insurance, and I have no idea, with your low bmi, if they would agree that your medical problems justified them paying for an expensive surgery. The first step is finding the surgeon who would support your decision, then sort out the insurance.
    It's sad but true that a lot of people with RNY get stuck in a sort of no man's land where they have lost enough weight to no longer qualify for wls but not anywhere near what they wanted. Keep in mind that in the world of wls, if you lose just 50% of your excess weight, you are counted as a success. There are a lot of "successes" out there who, like you, don't feel all that successful.

Larra
prettypixels
on 11/2/11 1:35 pm
Honestly I think YOU should think about the risks... revising a belly you've already revised once is seriously risky, and if you don't have that much left to lose is it REALLY worth it to you to take that risk? You don't have to be skinny to be a success!