RNY Revision in Feb-only 20 lbs lost-looking at DS for good!

shana lewis
on 11/1/11 5:18 am - TX
Ok..here is my backstory-

I had RNY in Nov. 2207 at 330lbs...within a year, I was down to 200, which was great!

got pregnant with baby number 3 in feb 2009( I was 199 at this point) and gained a LOT back...

Had revision surgery in Feb, 2011..and so far, I have love a whopping 30lbs..all with doing everything correctly!! ( I was 245 when I had the revision done)

ARGH!!!

I wanna lose this weight and be healthy..My current weight is now 210-215 depending....and I as supposed to be down to at least 170 by now..WTF???

Anyone know of any docs in or around dallas tx that does RNY to DS revision? Ive looked up sooo much about DS,a nd should have wet this way to begin with!

Any help is appreicated!!!!

If you want a friend, show yourself friendly!!

Renfairewench
on 11/1/11 5:24 am
What kind of revision did you have?

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

hamilbr
on 11/1/11 5:38 am - Lewisville, TX
call Dr. Daryl Stewart, Denton--
shana lewis
on 11/1/11 5:41 am - TX
I had RNY to RNY and Im sooo disappointed!

Dr. Stewart- will he take United Healthcare insurnace?

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 8:47 am
shana lewis
on 11/1/11 10:53 pm - TX
Bascially I had a revision of my intial RNY because the puch had distented and needed to be fixed

M. Miller
on 11/1/11 8:49 am, edited 11/1/11 8:51 am
 Dr Stewarts website lists what insurances he contracts with.....

here is a link...and it does look like he takes United Healthcare.

www.weightlosssurgeon.com/surgical-weight-loss-dallas-fort-worth/weight-loss-surgery-insurance

nightowl
on 11/1/11 1:01 pm - Topeka, KS
I highly doubt your insurance would pay for another revision, based on what you have written.  Even as a self-pay, some of the surgeons might turn you down at 210-215 lbs., unless you are quite short.  You did not list your current BMI or comorbidites, or any complications the revisied RNY has caused.

The fact that you do not specify what was done in your revision starts to raise a red flag.  Is it that you do not know?  Was your stoma made smaller?  Was the bypass made more distal?

The fact that you ask for a RNY-to-DS revision surgeon by your city (which many people do) shows that you didn't realize how rare such surgeons are. There are only a handful in the world.
Dr. Stewart in Denton, TX is new to doing such revisions.  Dr. Keshishian in Calfiornia is the man who does the most of these revisions, it seems to me, based on the message board.  Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco also does quite a few.  The revision you are asking about is quite risky and has a high rate of complications, which is why it may not be warranted if your only problem is weighing 210-215 when you would rather weigh 170 or under.
shana lewis
on 11/1/11 10:57 pm - TX
The stoma was made smaller- when I got the endoscopy doen, I was informed that the stoma had streched(sp?) and that it would have to be made smaller....

Well, my BMI is currently 40( I am 5'3) and I have back porblems, and I am borderline diabetic- all things that were supposed to be taken care of when I had RNY in 2007
The dumping is the biggest part, as well as the inability to absorb vitamins and iron that I need..I am CONSTANTLY deficient in all of my labs, which has lead to frequent sever headaches, nausea, high fevers,....its bad....

Well, I know I have some research to do, and I know there are risks...and I dont have the same insurance company as the revision I had in Feb
I just want a tool that will work and keep me healthy

Thanks for your advice!

scoob
on 11/1/11 11:25 pm - Somerset, KY
On November 2, 2011 at 5:57 AM Pacific Time, shana lewis wrote:
The stoma was made smaller- when I got the endoscopy doen, I was informed that the stoma had streched(sp?) and that it would have to be made smaller....

Well, my BMI is currently 40( I am 5'3) and I have back porblems, and I am borderline diabetic- all things that were supposed to be taken care of when I had RNY in 2007
The dumping is the biggest part, as well as the inability to absorb vitamins and iron that I need..I am CONSTANTLY deficient in all of my labs, which has lead to frequent sever headaches, nausea, high fevers,....its bad....

Well, I know I have some research to do, and I know there are risks...and I dont have the same insurance company as the revision I had in Feb
I just want a tool that will work and keep me healthy

Thanks for your advice!
40 BMI would make you eligable for WLS. If insurance will pay, even if it is different, I have no clue. I am not one of the "smart ones".

What I do want to address is that you list one of your problems as "inability to absorb vitamins, and that you're CONSTANTLY deficient in ALL my labs"! You do realize that DSers malabsorb MORE then a RNYer, right?? Vites are a must. You need to get your labs up and stablized before even thinking about another surgery. I know MY surgeon would NOT touch you for even a hernia repair if your labs are tanked!

Please go to dsfacts.com and read every word. Go through all the pages on this forum and bookmark stuff. Visit Vitalady.com and really look into getting the CORRECT vitamin regamine based on YOUR labs!

I don't mean to sound snarky but you gotta get those labs UP, like yesterday!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"