Fructose is BAD! (Learnings from a Las Vegas Lecture)

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 10:13 am
When not using artificial sweeteners, I think of it more in terms choosing table sugar over high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) when possible.  That means more cooking from scratch and less commercially-prepared foods (or reading labels more closely for hidden fructose).  If HFCS is listed in the first half of ingredients, it's a no-go for me.  Moderation is the key because fructose is so ubiquitous that eliminating it from our diets would be next to impossible.  

There are pure-glucose (dextrose) sweeteners available.  It's 30% less sweet than table sugar.  Here's a link on Amazon to one product:  

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Food-Products-6925/dp/B000T3 HX3K

BTW, Chad, I have to comment on your new avi.  Wow!  You look great!
Anna G.
on 11/8/11 3:50 am
Steve, thank you so much for this!! I have been using nothing but agave syrup to sweeten my coffee. In fact, I have that crap on auto-ship from Amazon! Well, it can be up to 97% fructose, apparently, which makes it even worse than HFCS. This has been a real eye-opener. I'll be switching back to stevia now. Holy crap. Again, thanks!!

HeatherLynn
on 11/9/11 4:32 am - TX
 That was eye opening, thanks. We already avoid HFCS as much as possible, but now there is more to consider.