Fructose is BAD! (Learnings from a Las Vegas Lecture)

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 10:06 am, edited 11/1/11 10:12 am
 FRUCTOSE IS BAD!  

This is a synopsis of information from Robert Lustig, MD,  UCSF Endocrinologist, at an obesity conference in Las Vegas, NV last week.  

Facts:

High fructose corn syrup was invented in Japan in 1966. High fructose corn syrup entered the American market in 1975.

High fructose corn syrup is 42-55% fructose.

Surprisingly, sucrose is 50% fructose (equally as bad).  

Fructose is NOT glucose. Fructose does not suppress ghrelin.  Glucose does. Real-life impact:  A teenager can suck down a 44 oz soda and still be as hungry as before despite massive caloric intake.  

Acute fructose does not stimulate insulin or leptin.  Glucose does. Real-life impact:  Insulin resistance.  

Fructose is a toxin.  Glucose is not. Real-life impact:  Liver toxicity.  

The liver handles fructose differently than any other sugar (more below). Chronic fructose exposure promotes metabolic syndrome more rapidly than any other sugar. Real-life impact:  Metabolic syndrome and diabetes are being seen in younger and younger patients because fructose is so ubiquitous.  

High fructose corn syrup annual consumption per American is 63 pounds.

High fructose corn syrup accounts for 12-15% of daily calories consumed by American teenagers.

High fructose corn syrup is the cheapest sweetener on the market.
Real-life impact.  High fructose corn syrup is in everything from sweets to salad dressings to sodas to deli meats to infant formulas.  

Ethanol (beer/wine/whiskey) is FERMENTED fructose.  Our bodies ferment fructose to metabolize it.  Real-life impact:  Fructose is as hard on our livers as alcohol is. (more below)

Fructose is a carbohydrate, but it is metabolized LIKE fat (meaning it doubles as fat). So, for us DSers, fructose is absorbed 100%, but is metabolized to FAT in the liver (a backdoor to our 80% malabsorption).  

The impact on our livers is the same with ethanol as it is with fructose (NASH).
Fructose and ethanol both break down to acetyl co-A.  The body handles it the same way regardless of the source.  So it doesn't matter if you drink a real Coke or a can of beer because the impact on our livers is the same.  Sobering -- especially considering how many of the protein supplements we purchase (drinks and bars) contain fructose.    

The number of calories presented to the liver directly correlates with insulin resistance:

1.  For every 120 calories of ethanol consumed, 96 calories have to be metabolized by the liver directly.  The rest are metabolized by the stomach, intestines, kidneys, muscle, and brain.    

2.  For every 120 calories of fructose consumed, 72 calories have to be metabolized by the liver directly.  The rest are metabolized by the stomach, intestines, kidneys, muscle, and brain.  

3.  For every 120 calories of glucose consumed, the calorie metabolism is evenly distributed throughout the tissues.      

So what's worse?  A can of Coke or a can of Schlitz beer?

Both have 150 calories. Coke has 75 calories from fructose and 75 calories from glucose. Schlitz has 60 calories from maltose and 90 calories from alcohol. 90 Coke calories HAVE to be metabolized by our liver. 92 Schlitz calories HAVE to be metabolized by our liver.  

My take-home message from his lecture is:

We all know alcohol is hard our our livers and recommend avoiding it for at least the first year after DS.

Fructose is equally as bad because it is metabolized to acetyl co-A the same as ethanol.

Once metabolized our bodies cannot distinguish the source of the acetyl co-A. Acetyl co-A is what is so hard on our livers.

Fructose should be placed in the same category as alcohol during the first year following DS.

The caloric impact of fructose and ethanol on our livers in massive. Calories presented to the liver correlates directly with insulin resistance. Coke is just as bad as beer on our livers because of the high fructose corn syrup it contains. Isomil by Similac contains 10.3% sucrose (almost equal to Coke).  Our poor babies' livers. . .  BREASTFEED whenever possible.  

Fructose consumption is on the rise especially in young Americans.

Fatty liver disease, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), and metabolic syndrome are on the rise.  

READ LABELS!  If fructose is in the first 4 ingredients, avoid it at all cost or pay the price. Even healthy drinks/bars contain fructose.  Don't be fooled!   

Fructose is a low-glycemic index food
because it does not stimulate insulin release.  I call bull****!  Glycemic index is useless when it comes to fructose, but manufacturers extort this known fact when they label their products.  

Fructose is absorbed as a carbohydrate 100% in us DSers, then converted to pure fat after absorption by the liver.  One of the greatest benefits of the DS is the fat malabsorption.  Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing -- it found the back door in!  

Finally, we are our own best advocates.  Hopefully this will encourage you to read labels and research fructose a little more.  We're in this together!  

(edited for spacing issues -- didn't transfer well as a word document)       
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/1/11 10:31 am - Tuvalu

So I can go ahead and put a 1/2 tsp of sugar in my coffee?

(I like black coffee and I like coffee with cream AND sugar...but not just cream and not just sugar.   This would make me an All-Or-Nothing kind of girl...a massive surprise, I'm sure.)
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/1/11 10:46 am - Tuvalu
On November 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

(I like black coffee and I like coffee with cream AND sugar...but not just cream and not just sugar.   This would make me an All-Or-Nothing kind of girl...a massive surprise, I'm sure.)

Oh, wait.  Sugar is fructose too?  Does it count that it's not HFCS?
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 11:03 am
On November 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:
On November 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

Oh, wait.  Sugar is fructose too?  Does it count that it's not HFCS?
All-Or-Nothing, huh?  

Table sugar is sucrose (about half fructose), so you'd only be getting a quarter teaspoon of fructose in a cup of your coffee.  That's not too bad.
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 10:38 am
 wow!!!

May I copy this and post on my facebook page, so my friends and family can read it?
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 11:04 am
 Sure, Inge.  When the article comes out in Lancet in a couple of months, I'll post the entire peer-reviewed article for everybody. 
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/1/11 10:51 am - Sedona, AZ

****bookmarked****

thank you for sharing this - it is important for us!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/1/11 11:00 am
Thanks doc! That was a very educational read, I never knew fructose was quite that horrible on the body. Did Doctor Lustic publish a paper on this too? If he did I'd love to read more.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 11:06 am
 It's coming soon in Lancet.
teachmid
on 11/1/11 11:01 am - OKC, OK
Thanks....a real eye opener.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165