Hives?

prettypixels
on 10/31/11 6:53 pm
 Anyone else break out in hives randomly post-op?  This started at 5 days out, I woke up with welts all over my upper thighs, belly, arms.  It got better yesterday, then tonight I just woke up and it is even worse... all over my feet, down my legs, my underarms.  NO CLUE what could be causing it.  I'm not eating anything new to me or anything like that.  Delayed reaction from all the meds at the hospital?  So weird!  So ITCHY!!!!!  Ugh!  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

MajorMom
on 10/31/11 7:15 pm - VA
Could be a reaction to vitamins or rather one particular one with a gel in the capsule or some filler perhaps. I know Dana had a reaction to what she thinks was the Vita4Life vitamins Dr E's office pushes.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

prettypixels
on 10/31/11 7:36 pm
I'm still just taking my chewables, and I had taken those pre-op. I am soooooooooooooo itchy! You are up early Gina!!! I have my follow-up appt tomorrow so of course I will mention it then. Googling on hives has been unhelpful at best... they can be basically caused by just about anything. (Gee thanks!) LOL!
MajorMom
on 10/31/11 7:53 pm - VA
We're babysitting my oldest son's dog the next few days while he and my DIL have my second grand baby :)  The dog got up at about 3:50AM this morning wanting to be let out,  so my 2 dogs wanted out too. {sigh}  I'm up! I'm up!

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

prettypixels
on 10/31/11 10:53 pm
Oh congratulations on your second grandbaby!  Wonderful news!!!!  
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 9:46 pm
You could be having a reaction to pain medication. Dr. E used to give everyone a Fentyl patch, not sure if he still does it. You can take a benedryl to stop the itching. Yes, it comes in liquid form!

Hugs,
Ratkity
prettypixels
on 10/31/11 10:54 pm
 I have taken some benadryl, it helps a little bit!  It makes me sooo sleepy though.  I came home on liquid morphine, not sure if that is typically the plan or not.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 11:48 pm
The sleepiness of benedryl gets less intense as you continue to take it. If you are taking any doses of the liquid painkiller, it's time to stop or take it with benedryl if you are feeling lots of discomfort. It's a common side effect of all opiates.

It's been 7 years since my VSG with Dr. E. I'm sure many things (including his staff) have changed. Not sure what he does for pain control with his patients now.

Hugs and feel better soon!
Ratkity
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/31/11 11:56 pm - Tuvalu

For me, Benadryl is the Debil.

I described how it affected me to an ER Army doctor who happened to be a shrink--usually you got an opthalmologist--and he said, "Oh...it ***** with your betas."  I said, "Huh?"  He said, "Benadryl ***** with your beta waves," as though that should mean something.  I have no idea what that means...but I know that if I take that stuff, I awaken--no matter how long I was out--in full combat mode and anyone near me had better take cover.
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 2:37 am
Oiy!! I wonder if blood pressure meds would mess with you too, many of those are a type of antihistamine.  Phenergan (for nausea) is one as well as the med antivert for dizziness. Best to stay away from them (or at least tell people you have taken them so they can scatter).

Hugs,
Ratkity