Hello all, I am new here

southernlady5464
on 11/1/11 2:26 am
Heather, I also responded to you on the lightweights board, so I won't repeat myself here.

My husband had his surgery in Dec 2010 in NYC, but because of different insurance companies, I had to stay in TN to have mine. Worked out for the best. I had mine 5 weeks later on Jan 24th, this year.

He was at a 39 BMI, I just barely squeaked in at a 35.2. By the time I had mine, he was well enough to help me out. We had originally planned on doing them back to back.

We both reached goal last month and he's lost enough to where he actually needs to stop or he will blow away! I can manage about another 10 lbs or so. But this has been an incredible journey for both of us...it's great getting healthier together. And his doctor made the observation that if both partners had weight loss surgery, it was much easier on them to have the same kind of surgery. And except for my milk intolerance developed immediately post op, we eat the same things now.

You will both do great...welcome.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Fade2Pink
on 11/1/11 6:31 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Welcome to the DS boards!  I'm not married, but I do live with my sister and we are both DSers, we did our surgeries 1 month apart, so that we could take care of things for each other during the immediate post-op period (like driving to appointments, etc).  It worked out well for us and we both find that living with soemone going through the same/similar things very comforting and helpful.  I think you'll do just great!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 7:12 am, edited 10/31/11 7:18 pm

At 155, five pounds below my goal weight of 160, I'm on the boarderline between overweight (overfat at my fitness textbook calls it) and normal. I can't go any further than I am now, according to my PCP because she estimates that I have 15-20 pounds of loose skin with fat deposits that won't go away, except by surcial intervention. I've had four consults, and getting the skin off my thighs and making them look right would take a minimum of four surgeries on each leg. For now, I'll stick with the capri length body shapers and support hose to keep everythng still!

By society's terms I'm still "fat". On my own terms, 155 is not fat at all, when I look back at where I've come from. Check out my ticker.

PS - IMHO the DS is very hard, if not impossible to screw up with weight gain. I struggle everyday to make sure I'm getting enough food and nutrients to keep my weight stable.
I saw one post here from a DSer who said she regained 100 pounds ! I just can't see how that is possible!