Hello all, I am new here

HeatherLynn
on 10/31/11 6:21 am - TX
On October 31, 2011 at 1:06 PM Pacific Time, momx4 wrote:
Welcome, I am one week ahead of you.  My surgery is on the 7th.  I consulted with Dr. Stewart....LOVE HIM.....but my insurance wouldn't cover the DS...so I am traveling to Madigan Army Medical Center to have my DS done!  Are you in Texas?  I am in Central Texas!
 We are in West Texas, about 6 hours away from Denton. We will be moving to north central Texas in january though. I am so happy. :) 
momx4
on 10/31/11 6:37 am - TX
The traveling is gonna suck, but I am keeping my eye on the prize!!

Kristi                
HeatherLynn
on 10/31/11 6:44 am - TX
On October 31, 2011 at 1:37 PM Pacific Time, momx4 wrote:
The traveling is gonna suck, but I am keeping my eye on the prize!!

WOAH that is a long way! I just looked it up. I recently had a resection of my colon, and traveled to Houston for it. I was there a month! I thought that was bad. 
teachmid
on 10/31/11 7:14 am - OKC, OK
Welcome, Heather
You and her DH will be in excellent hands with Dr. Stewart.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 12:15 pm
Hi, HeatherLynn!

My wife, RagamuffinB, and I are a DS couple.  Our surgeon was Dr. Stewart.  It is the best investment we've ever made in our futures.

We had our DS's 9 months apart.  I was SMO, diabetic, hypertensive, hyperlipidemic, with obstructive sleep apnea.  Within 9 months I went from 112 lbs heavier than my wife to over 50 pounds lighter.  As her birthday approached, she told me that she wanted what I had -- a DS.  She was a relative lightweight, so Dr. Stewart made her common channel about twice as long as mine.  She had many of the same fears you've voiced about not losing the weight.  She just celebrated her one-year surgiversary last month and has lost over 100 lbs.  We just returned from a trip to Vegas and, while there, she wore her new wardrobe complete with size 4 jeans!  She looks and feels incredible.  

My advice?  Relax.  You'll do as well as your husband despite differing common channel lengths because you don't have all of the comorbid conditions to overcome.  Keep reading and interacting here because this forum will be your lifeline to a successful DS experience.  

I see definite advantages and disadvantages to doing surgery at the same time.  I would recommend having a caregiver for each of you available in the hospital if possible because neither of you will be much help to the other one in the immediate postoperative period.  If either of you has an unforeseen complication, it will become even more important to have additional caregivers on stand-by. 

I'm not sure where you are in West Texas.  We must be pretty close by.  If you'd like to meet for dinner or something we're always looking for reasons to go out.  Feel free to send me a private message if you're interested.  If you're really social, we have a group of almost 30 DSers here in Lubbock and could throw a meeting together in short order so you could pick a few brains about what to expect pre- and post-op.   
gak
on 10/31/11 12:41 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
You are going to both do great with Dr S ! He has a great reputation ! Congrats on making a great choice and taking charge of your futures ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

galla1
on 11/1/11 12:30 am
Welcome and good luck!! This will be life changing for you both!
ambermay
on 11/1/11 12:36 am
Welcome and congrats on your decision   I got the whole there is no way your big enough for surgery thing alot too.  I quit telling people.  It is really no ones business.  I have told some people that straight up ask how I am losing but the reaction is always a sad.. "oh"..   I feel amazing though and I am sooo happy with my choice.  Congrats to you and your hubby!

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 2:01 am

welcome to the DS board. There are several spouses who have had the DS. Slim Shady is one that comes to mind. One has had her entire family have the DS and her name is Sarah. Sorry I can't link them to you bu****ch for their posts, if they haven't already responded to you.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/1/11 2:23 am, edited 11/1/11 2:31 am
Welcome welcome!

I see Slim posted here, Raggamuffin may follow and post here too! 

I was borderline "lightweight" at 297, goal weight 165. I'm almost 11 months out and I'm at 187 as of 2 weeks ago. I'm still loosing 4-6 lbs per month. I'm not sure if 165 sounds a bit heavy, but I'm 5'8 with a medium frame and I'm on the muscular side. I think anything lower than 165 would make me look too skeletal. To be honest, even if I stopped losing weight 20lbs from goal I'd still be happy- I'm not burdened by the weight anymore and my body feels so much better- no more joint pain, phyical activity is an afterthought and doesn't tire me out, and I no longer look "fat" like I did before.

You picked an excellent surgeon, he would not lead you astray!

Soon you and your hubs will be on the "dark side" with the rest of us: slimmer, healthier, and happier.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com