Food questions????

Patty Kake
on 10/30/11 11:05 pm
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am 7 weeks out of surgery. Are we supposed to be eating snacks???? I do get hungry at times but I understood my doctor to say, just eat 3 meals a day and it should be mostly all protein, little vegetable and even less carbs. High fat or low fat???? I'm finding it hard to eat anything. Nothing tastes good except for eggs and string cheese.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 11:34 pm - Burlington County, NJ
The only way to get in your protein is to graze. Nibble away. The doctor was telling you crap band and RNY stuff, and even then it's only for later when you're healed and at full capacity. Ignore your surgeon's diet advice. You'll get much better info here. The surgeon is for surgery/doctoring, not for nutrition/behavior.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 11:34 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Have you connected to the PADS group yet? They have a Facebook group.

Kayla B.
on 10/31/11 12:27 am - Austin, TX
You bet.  It's just unrealistic to be able to get in enough protein in only 3 meals per day.  I am a strong proponent of snacks.  Make sure they are high protein.  Your egg and cheese meals are fine.

High/low fat doesn't so much matter.  If you are enjoying what you are eating, and you are not having any GI difficulties (too-loose stools or too-hard stools), then whatever fat amount you are eating is fine.

If you are having a lot of loose stools, a little less fat may be necessary, though I think carbohydrate intolerances play a large part in this as well.

If your stools are really hard, a little more fat can be helpful.  As well as more water.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Patty Kake
on 10/31/11 1:34 am
I just got invited to join the PADS group this morning!!!  Thanks for all of the advice.  The surgeon's office really doesn't prepare you for how to eat after surgery.  Everything is very vague. 
Julie R.
on 10/31/11 1:58 am - Ludington, MI
If I'd followed that RNY bull**** advice from my surgeon's office, I'd probably weigh about 82 pounds right now.    For the longest time, I ate every 2-3 hours.     I always included protein in those small meals.    Now, I can make it every four hours without eating - sometimes!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

NoMore B.
on 10/31/11 2:22 am
I agree with what the others told you.  With the DS, it's not so much about WHEN or even HOW MUCH you eat, it's all about WHAT you eat.

So early out you can barely fit any food in your new stomach.  You will have to eat more frequently.  I also found out that by eating a little something every hour or so I could really cut down on the nausea I had for the first month or two.

At two years out I still graze throughout the day.  As long as you keep it to low/no carb snacks you'll be fine.

As early out as you are, you should be eating things like string cheese, eggs, ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, seafood, - less dense proteins that will go down easy and as long as your tummy can tolerate them.  If something doesnt agree with you now, no need to ward it off forever.  Just reintroduce things slowly in a few weeks.  Post op digestion is termpermental, but it does get over time and you will find what is "normal" for you.
Larissa P.
on 10/31/11 10:40 am - Denton, TX
You hungry? Eat. But...always make sure you DRINK first because we can easily mix up being thirsty for hungry and get dehydrated. DON'T DIET!!
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 2:13 am
Graze away and be sure to get your fluids in. We need fat in order to poot...so don't worry about the fat-you malabsorb about 80% of it.