My sister the weirdo (x-post)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/31/11 5:44 am - Tuvalu

So we warned her surgeon that the whole damned family was allergic to the adhesive on all the tapes...and steristrips...and so he glued her back together.

She's allergic to the glue.

Oh, well.

tee4change
on 10/31/11 7:45 am - NY
DId you recomend the sleeve to your sis or was it primarily her choice?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/31/11 11:06 am - Tuvalu

I recommended the DS, but it was 100% her choice to go with the sleeve.

She says...and she's right...that she does not have the personality necessary to "challenge," "confront," "argue with," "question" her doctors when they forget that she has malabsoprtion.  Given that, I recommended strongly against the band and the RnY.  And that left the sleeve. 

tee4change
on 10/31/11 11:48 am - NY

Okay thx I asked because my surgeon recomends the DS for me but will do the sleeve. I can't knowing my situation and lifstyle i couldn't handle the extra supplements and such. At this point being a single mom of four it would be too much for now. I never considered RNY and thanks to You all I know the band is a huge NO,NO!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/31/11 12:14 pm, edited 10/31/11 12:21 pm - Tuvalu

Okay...here's my lecture:  You'll need supplements ANYWAY.  Your stomach will be so small that you won't be able to eat enough to get in the regular amount of nutrients.  (I had that problem with the band...my anemia got worse because I couldn't eat red meat...and when I could, I couldn't eat enough of it.)

Your numbers are close to my sister's.  I've already had ONE surgeon tell me this:  Your sister is having the wrong surgery.  When it fails, she will blame herself and hate herself and have to figure out a way to get another surgery.  It won't BE her fault, but she will feel like it was.

So, be sure.  My sister is already old.  She doesn't have to have a surgery that will keep the weight off for 30 years.  And, to be fair, you're young...and we don't know what kind of teeny, tiny micronutrients that we aren't even aware of right now might be missing from our supplements and be a problem for you thirty years from now.

Just know that the ASMBSs say that the sleeve's success is somewhere between the band and the RnY...and that ain't great.  Better than nothing...but not great.

Good luck to you either way.

Sue

tee4change
on 11/1/11 6:27 am, edited 11/1/11 6:31 am - NY
Thank you Sue,
I  have been reading up on this board trying to see  what life is like after DS, so I'll see. Surgeon said that to get me to a BMI under 30 is a DS so ..... Maybe.

larra
on 11/1/11 2:07 am - bay area, CA
I hope  you'll reconsider. The supplements are crucial but truly not difficult, even with a busy lifestyle. I was still working when I had my Ds, and with very odd hours. I took some vits first thing in the am, just needed calcium at other times during the day, and then stuff at bedtime. I kept chewable calcium citrate in my purse, in a desk drawer, in a locker, etc. Didn't even need water and it was always handy.
      It really can be done, and if your surgeon recommended the DS for you, there's a reason. And as Ms. Cal pointed out, you're going to need vitamins and supplements anyway with the VSG, though less of them. And with a busy life and kids to care for, wouldn't you want to lose as much of that excess weight as possible AND keep it off? DS is what will do that for you.

Larra
tee4change
on 11/1/11 6:34 am - NY
Thanks Larra.... thinking about this. I have a few months to decide.

Ms Shell
on 11/3/11 8:13 am - Hawthorne, CA
You'll discover that supplements are a fact of life regardless of surgery.  I found out with my VSG too...no matter the surgery vitamins and protein and to some extent protein supplements are a forever thing.

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

scoob
on 10/31/11 7:59 am - Somerset, KY
Sounds about right!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"