Who DID NOT lose 100 lbs in their first year and did you get there or past that?

sweetdew
on 10/30/11 10:50 am - CA
Also how old are you, are you a revision, how long is your CC?
Sweetdew
2005-Revision from Lap-band to RNY, 12/2010 Revision from RNY to DS
HW-305  DS,SW-262  CW-slowly going down  GW-140/160

duncans
on 10/30/11 11:10 am, edited 10/30/11 11:12 am
 Starting Wt: 250#'s. My goal was to loose 100#.  In my best case scenario, I had hoped to loose 105-110# total ( 5'8", 140-145#). I lost very slowly compared to most folks.  Minus 85 lbs by abt 24 months and stayed there for the next 12 months. I am nearing my 5 yr post DS and am just now at minus 105#'s, 145 lbs., so the last 20 # drop occurred in the last 18 months. No regain at any point---yahoo! I could stand to loose another 5-10 lbs., but that would be icing on the cake. An increase in exercise helped me loose the last 15 #'s.

Best of luck to you. I was slightly dissappointed , worrying that I would not loose enough, but as my many surgeries Left leg / foot allowed increased activity, the weight continued to drop.

Susan

Virgin DS, 56 yo, 100cm CC

sweetdew
on 10/30/11 12:12 pm - CA
Thank you SO MUCH for responding. Though I am STILL SO HAPPY WITH MY CURRENT WEIGHT LOSS, i had hoped and expected it to be a bit more and faster. I do not have unrealistic goals for my bottom line # as I knew I just wanted to be healthy and feel better and I have accomplished that already. I currently weigh 188 and would love to get to at least 160 lbs which would have me losing 102 lbs from my DS Surgery. I will be one year out December 8Th, so I am almost there. I am ok if it takes a nother 6 mos to a year to lose my additional 30 lbs as long as i get there. I just wanted to see who else was out there who has been or did lose on the time frame and path as me.

I am 52 almost 53, a revision 2 x over, in menopause (lol) and my CC is 50. I thought being that my CC was 50 that i would of had greater success, but that has not been the case with me.

Thanks again and congratulations on your achieved success!
Sweetdew

Poodles
on 10/30/11 11:21 am - TX
I am 38, a revision from lap band, and my cc is 85ish (what my dr said).

I did not lose 100 my first year, but am way past that now.  Seems like the last six months, at a year and a half out, I finally "got it" and started figuring out head hunger vs real hunger.  Carbs are the devil and milk is not my friend anymore. 

It took me a while, I am stubborn but can admit it.

If you go from my highest weight I have lost half of my self, my highest being 359+ but my surgery weight was 335 and I am sitting at 170 now.  I would actually like to stop losing now, but haven't figured out how to do it without eating more gas causing carbs.

I thought I would be the only person in the world that the DS would not work for, but it works for you even when you work against yourself. :)

Good luck!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

sweetdew
on 10/30/11 12:17 pm - CA
Poodles, thanks my friend for responding also! It gives me hope and comfort knowing that I have not been alone and that in your journey you GOT THERE! I believe, I will GET THERE too, just more slowly  than most.

In my frustration of having a 5 month stall, i did eat more carbs than i am sure i should of. I just got so disappointed in not losing ONE lb in 5 months, but now I am watching the carbs again, doing better there but still not losing! i did lose 3 lbs after 5 months but now nothing for over a month again.

Anyway, I will keep trying, not give up, and trust you guys who are posting to this thread and trusting the DS.

xoxoxo
Shireen
Sweetdew

Renfairewench
on 10/30/11 11:51 am
I am a revision from RNY to DS. My common channel is 50cm.  I am 51 and had my revision in August of 2009. I did lose 100 pounds within the first year. I lost 100 pounds within 6 months, if you take my preop weight and within 9 months if you take my weight from surgery. I was also on TPN for several of those months and had not lost any weight for months. I currently have lost 135 pounds. I started at 302 and weighed in this morning at 165.  I did have a bit of bounce back weight and am working on losing that. I like my maintenance weight to be between 156 and 160. If I get to 156 though I am going to try to lose as much as my body will give me. I'd like to make it down in the 140's.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

sweetdew
on 10/30/11 12:19 pm - CA
Thank you Renfairewench! Glad to see you, I know you have been through alot ! Ihave read your path and posts.... xoxoo
Sweetdew

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 12:02 pm
I have a 100 cm common channel (verified) and was a revision from sleeve.

Lost 60 lbs with sleeve and 60 with DS. I have had a very stressful 6 months with an ill family member and her eventual passing. During this time, my carb intake was not optimal (to say the least). I was still protein and vitamin compliant. Without the DS, I would have surely gained! Instead, I bounced up 5 lbs and as soon as I got the carb monster under control, those were gone.

Hugs,
Ratkity
sweetdew
on 10/30/11 12:26 pm - CA
RATKITTEN,,, ******** HUGS*********** back to you my DS friend! Thank you for your reply and good to see you. I am so sorry for your loss.

YOU hit it on the nail i believe for me. MY LIFE IS SO FULL, SO BUSY and has a lot of grief and loss going on. Cancer with friends and family, double mastectomy with one of my best Friends. My husband has been in and out of the hospital with Congestive heart failure. Taking care of both of my old patents who live separately, one with me and traveling a lot for work..... UGH! Sooooooooooooo  let me say that i have eating carbs and some sugar at times in stress mode and I am sure that affected my loss some but i will tell you that i have been pretty compliant. Always with my protein and vites and most of the time with my carbs. So I will not give up, keep on trying and just accept that some of our journeys are slower than others but still  great and possible!
Sweetdew

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 1:46 pm
Oh my dear sweetdew!! No wonder you are stressed!! When have you had time to care for you?

I am currently in therapy and learning to allow myself to feel stress as opposed to sedate it with food. Note that I said "learning" in that I realize what I'm doing when I reach for sugar and other comfort foods. Next step is to replace that behavior with something else. I'm a work in progress :)

The DS has allowed me to stop the extreem yo-yo weight gains and losses.  I am hoping that my poor metabolism can recover and eventually I will lose more when I get my low carb duckies in a row. I will say that I have cut out sugared drinks and have not touched a vending machine in over 100 days!

Hang in there girl. My flip side of slow loss is that I have no vitamin deficiencies (knock on wood and major thanks to vets and VL schedule) or major calcium losses (all bone scans in positive numbers!). I recently had a uterine fibroid removed and am hoping that'll help with my monthly iron loss (oiy! pre-menapausal sucketh).

More major hugs,
Ratkity