"Unrealistic Expectations"? Slam me if I'm having them...

hopingintx
on 10/30/11 1:18 pm

That's a good question.  I haven't noticed my teeth changing at all  but I did read that sometimes bridges, etc. can fit differently because your gums actually lose wt. too.  So if you are considering dentures you will probably want to discuss this with your dentist and maybe your surgeon.    I'd hate to get dentures then lose enough weight that they wouldn't fit properly.

This may not apply but when my MIL was about to have knee replacement they told her not to have dental surgery within 6 months after the replacement.  I think that was probably to keep any infection from settling in the new joint.  
Nancy            
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/30/11 2:12 pm - Sedona, AZ
I have had a ton of dental work in my life - many root canals and crowns but never a toothache I ever considered that bad. Do you think maybe you had an absess tooth? I have heard those are brutal. I am glad I have a full set of good choppers right now eating all this meat was my first thought  . . Dental surgery or DS I am sure you just need to heal from one before doing the other.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

butercup
on 10/30/11 5:35 pm - Kennewick, WA
Granted, I've only had my surgery for 5 weeks, but now that my poo is solidifying it really isn't any stinkier than before. Now, when it's pure liquid, dear god the stench. I still deal with that with air fresheners. Gas? Eh, there was gas before. It's also lessened than the first few weeks. I don't have much else to say since I didn't have those comorbs and I'm not far enough out to judge my weight. I will say this though, my highest I've ever been may have been in the 320's, before the preop diet I was 312. I've lost down to 245. I feel really good. I can find some clothes at thrift stores and I'm not that shy about seeing people anymore. If I didn't lose any more that would kinda suck, but I'm really feeling good about myself at 245. It's less than I weighed after my last pregnancy.
stormy918
on 10/30/11 9:48 pm, edited 10/30/11 9:49 pm
Twyla, sounds like you have done your homework so I'll just touch on a couple things.

1) I was 50 when I had my DS..5yrs post op. Weight has been steady tween 136 - 140 for over 3 years..with a loss of 187-191#. I did at one point go about 10# lower and had the proverbial bounce
back.

2) Pregnancy...DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE! If you still have baby makin parts and still menestrate then you can get knocked up. Birthcontrolbirthcontrol and more birth control.

3) Eating early out is a gamble. Yogurt, cottage cheese, very very moist tiny bites of meat..etc During the "honeymoon" period you really want to focus on protein every time you eat and if theres room for a bite or 2 of something else, then thats great...if not..oh well.

4) Protein shakes...Stock up on samples. Dont use them till after surgery as your taste will change (prolly more than once). Then you can get a can of something you like or can tolerate.

5) There will be changes that you wont think about..most of them are just annoying.

If I can help in anyway, please dont hesitate to shoot me a message. If I dont know an answer I can prolly find it.( or Sue will slam me for it) LOL

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

stormy918
on 10/30/11 11:22 pm
TEETH! I forgot em.... I have dentures..have had for about 15 yrs. Since my DS and weight loss I have had to have new dentures made because of the loss of tissue and muscle form the DS as well as just plain ol' over time shrinkage.

My advice would be to wait to have your teeth pulled until your weight is stable. And most importantly...have your dentures made and in hand so they can be inserted ASAP. This helps alot with both pain and swelling.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 11:45 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 Yeah, the dentist told me that it was best to have them made and put them in.   Actually, and I'm sure this was probably a way to make extra money....he told me I needed some temp dentures, THEN be fitted for my regular ones.

The thing is....NEVER had a tooth problem in my life.  Then I hit 38 yo, and got paid back for brushing off my husbands toothaches.  I thought he was just being a weenie....after all, I'd given birth three times, what was his problem?  I should have remembered what a ***** karma is......now my teeth break in half, my gums swell and bleed, and I was told they all have to be surgically removed because of my health issues.  So yeah...I'm looking at dentures and will be more than happy to have them!  LOL   I guess the general consensus is to wait then........

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
prettypixels
on 10/31/11 1:06 am
I quit smoking 7 or 8 years ago, I can't remember. I didn't have as long a habit to break, but it was a pretty intense thing for me because at that point I was a 2 pack a day smoker and I LOVED smoking. I had met my husband and knew I wanted to have babies with him, so it was time to give up the smokes. Plus my mother also died of lung cancer at the ripe young age of 51. So I had a lot of reasons to do it and I was determined.

I used the patch, but not for a month or two. I used the darned things for SIX MONTHS. I figured this was for the rest of my life, so I did not want to stop using them until my cravings were GONE for good. The patch helped me SO MUCH. I would be a stark raving ***** and then put the patch on and be like... ahhhhhh! I have never smoked another since.

That's my patch testimonial. I also set myself up to succeed, by which I mean I controlled my actions somewhat. So I stayed off the computer for a while because that was a BIG place I smoked. I stopped going to bars at all for a while, because that was another big place I smoked. I had my boyfriend come stay with me for the first few days to keep me distracted. All those things helped, but the patch helped the most of all I think. But you can set yourself up to succeed I think! Good luck quitting!
Chad M.
on 10/31/11 1:48 am - Indianapolis, IN
Pretty reasonable. More reasonable than most, and it's obvious you've done a lot of reading around here to prepare yourself.

Will your diabetes absolutely be cured? Maybe. Probably. 95+ percent cure rate means someone has to be in the ~5%.

Will you lose as much as you want? Again, average EWL is 85%, and someone has to balance out those pounds from all the people who lose 100%.

Will your apnea go away? Mine didn't. It's tons better, but it's still there. I can sleep for a night without CPAP and be OK. Not great, just OK. It runs in my family, not sure about yours.
Larissa P.
on 10/31/11 5:35 am - Denton, TX
That's a long list.

Only thing I can speak to is that potatoes do nothing to me. They are my "free" carb. No side effects. Love 'em!

Don't assume anything with any food, we are all different. It's ok to experiment and find out what your body likes and doesn't like. Then try again 6 months later because that will change!
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
stormy918
on 10/31/11 6:29 am
Another thing about the teeth...if you have time before surgery you could have them pulled and get temporary plates. They are lots cheaper than permanent dentures. that way you wont have toothaches, you can have the temps adjusted as you go and then when your weight settles you can get permanents made.

That would be cheapest if the teeth need to go now as realigning and relining/adjusting can use up all the adjustable area and you would have to get new teeth anyway.

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever