"Unrealistic Expectations"? Slam me if I'm having them...

Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 10:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
What ho, mind body work? Go find a therapist who does Thought Field Therapy. Lacking that, try a kinda-sorta-version of this kind of thing (but ignore all the wacko testimonials that say it heals every ill in the world and brings peace on earth) that you can learn yourself. www.emofree.com

Jennifer D.
on 10/30/11 6:32 am
Great post and awesome responses.
I had my DS done laparoscopically and had no gas pain after.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/30/11 6:38 am - Sedona, AZ
one more thing that worked well for me when I would have the urge to smoke- I would take my 2 fingers to my mouth like they had a cigarette in them and take that deep breath like I was smoking and exhale. It was very satisfying when I had a bad craving and I discovered it was just that inhaling that my body craved. Maybe it sounds crazy but it worked in a pinch many a time. Just breathe!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 8:16 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Thanks everyone for your great responses....I just want to make sure I ABSOLUTELY know what I'm getting myself into before I buckle up and take the ride.  Like I've said before, I have TYSON (chicken) stamped on my arse, and I need to know that I've dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's.  This was a really big decision for me and I'm liable to have multiple nervous breakdowns before the big day arrives.  I have a bossy a$$, big mouthed friend who is all set up to go with me, and wants me to recover at her house, but I just dunno about all that.  Kind of a control freak and like to be "queen" of my own castle...LOL

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 8:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds pretty realistic to me. Just remember that the diabetes thing IS NOT GUARANTEED. 95% is NOT ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

It might take you longer than a month to be able to do what you now define as "eating." Actually, it WILL take longer than a month. "Eating" four weeks out is likely to be something along the lines of very carefully nibbled Greek yogurt, refried beans, a little bit of VERY tender meat with gravy, etc. And I mean something like two tablespoons. If you do better than that you can be VERY grateful.

Example: Christmas Day was three weeks postop for me. Mr. EN and I celebrated at the home of friends. In the course of the evening, as in a good three hours, I ate one shrimp, a piece of turkey about half an inch thick and an inch by an inch and a half, slathered in gravy, and about two tablespoons of dressing, also slathered in gravy. Oh, and a fingernail sized bite of gingerbread.

That was a very full meal for me, and I had and have a pretty much cast iron stomach.

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/30/11 8:29 am - Sedona, AZ
I bought the fake cigarette too and it tastes terrible and is not the same as smoking- just sposed to replace the nicotine - the part we are addicted to- but it's not enough like the real habit and not satisiying at all- at least to me. I wouldn't even bother, It is just another way for someone to take your money. Yes get that under control before the surgery as you dont want to have one after it and you may really want one then! The longer you go without the less you will want one!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 1:00 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I bought the fake cig-called "blu" at Walgreens.  Kinda tastes like burnt chocolate, but then, when you smoke, you have lousy tastebuds anyway....so what do I know.  Anyway....I do very well with it.  Mainly because of the whole hand/mouth thing, because it certainly isn't the taste.  I went from 3 packs a day down to about a pack...and once even got to 1/2 a pack.  I'm holding steady at the damn pack right now.

Tommorrow morning starts duct tape week.  Pray for the storm that's sure to hit the south.....for dingbat husbands and kids that should have left home @ 18.  Pray for my bassett hound Doobie (yes, it's what you think, and no, I didn't name him, my 20 year old son did!), and my sweet bull mastiff Brandy....because they don't deserve it.  My husband and son.....possibly.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
hopingintx
on 10/30/11 12:36 pm

Twyla,

As we say in the south..you are a hoot!

Yeah, you've pretty much got it right along with what the vets have said.

If you get bad breath, it will be because of keto-acidosis.  It is normal for people who are experiencing rapid wt. loss.  (It was also what helped me know my 11 year old daughter was in bad health and we were able to get her diagnosed as a juvenile (Type I) diabetic.  It just goes with the territory and won't last forever.  It smelled to me like a cross between over-ripe fruit and fingernail polish remover.

I started out at 335 at age 58 and now I'm 172 at age 60 in a 12/14.  I'm a happy camper.  All the best to you!
Nancy            
Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 1:08 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I read somewhere on here that people used some kind of spray or something for it.  I'll have to look it up again.  Just out of curiosity......does the DS make your teeth any worse?  I mean....I need to have mine pulled...seriously.  I don't know how they're hanging in there now.  I've debated on getting all of that done with a quickness....BEFORE the surgery.

Just thought of something in terms of pain......IMO a toothache is the WORST pain in the world.  It beat all three of my c sections, my arthritis, back.....EVERYTHING.  Actually, I think I could stand in front of a bus before I'd willingly have a toothache.  I hate toothaces worse than tummy aches....and that's right up there.  How does it affect your teeth...or does it?  Does the pain from the surgery ever top a really bad toothache?  Not meaning to make it sound frivolous.... but I've had some toothaches from HELL!!!!

Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 10:47 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Well, you lose weight in your gums and that can change the alignment of your teeth.

I've never had that bad of a toothache, so I can't compare surgery pain to that.