"Unrealistic Expectations"? Slam me if I'm having them...

Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 7:46 am - Chattanooga, TN
 OMG...dont' know if I could handle knowing an actual date yet.  Thanks God I have a shrink appt. in a few days--LOL  Just finished the diet, and they're submitting to insurance, and I've already had a breakddown about THAT email!

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
fullhousemom
on 10/30/11 6:03 am
I am almost three weeks out. I dont have gas at all. A couple things to remember early on: pain meds are your friends the first week after surgery. The better you feel, the more apt you are to walk. Make sure you walk in rhe hospital. I also had breathing treatments every 6 hours. I had a plastic thing I had to blow into. Do it frequently! My period started after surgery, which was totally out of cycle for me and I was unprepared. The hospital uses pads with belts. BYO if you know what I mean. Chapstick! When you get out of surgery, you will no doubt sleep a lot. Enjoy it! I requested no one see me on my second and third day in the hospital. I rested and walked. It was quiet and my time to start to heal. Give up the smoking and you will do fine!
fullhousemom
on 10/30/11 6:07 am
I am very surprised at my total lack of desire to eat. I do eat my protein and water, but nothing tastes that good. My mouth feels yucky. I know it will get better but it can be a little frustrating. Make sure your doc gives you simething for an acidy stomach and keep the tums close by!
Emily F.
on 10/30/11 6:10 am
Pretty reasonable. I said the surgery was worth it if I was under 200 and a size 14. Not sure how tall you are.

I think it is all reasonable portrayal of post op life.
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 6:11 am - Woodbridge, VA
The diabetes thing is pretty individual - sure, there's a GOOD chance of it going away, but not a guarantee. I was never on insulin and only had been diagnosed with type 2 about a year before my surgery, and I never had an A1C above 9.5 (that's what it was at diagnosis). However, I still consider myself a type 2 today, I'm just not on any meds or anything for it. If I suck down a milkshake, my post prandials will still be higher than "normal," which I consider to be a remaining minor symptom. My A1Cs have been in the 4s for more than a year now, and my fastings are always below 100, but I still think it's "there" and can get right back out of hand if I let myself get out of control.

Also, at 324 pounds, I wore a shoe size 10. At about 180 pounds, I wear a shoe size 10. I can occasionally squeeze a 9.5, but I wouldn't claim any victory in the shoe size department! I did have my engagement ring resized from I think a 9 to like a 6.5. It's a bit loose nowadays, but I'm also now pregnant, so I don't want to downsize only to have my fingers swell up in my third trimester  :P

I never had some of the negative side effects that are "common," but, like you, I went in fully EXPECTING them all anyway, and I'm glad I did, because it made my actual experience that much better! I started a probiotic before my surgery, and whether it was that or my extra long common channel or a combination of the two, I never had diarrhea, not even in my first week home. I DID battle constipation for about my first 5 months or so, though.

I fart. My farts smell like farts. They're not peel-paint-off-the-walls horrific. Again, not sure if that's because of the good probiotics, the long common channel, or a combination of both.

I had my DS at 308.5 pounds (my weight the morning of surgery). I'd had no pre-op diet, so I hadn't lost weight recently prior to my surgery. I never reached my "goal" weight of 150, nor did I ever reach 170. During my first trimester of pregnancy, I got down to 175 for a hot minute, but I'm now back up to about 181 (was about 186-187 when I found out I was pregnant). I still absolutely am glad I had my surgery and consider myself quite successful, but these are my realities. And I'm still in my 20s.

I CAN eat bread and potatoes. Too much, and I'll have painful abdominal gas/bloating later, but some here or there doesn't bother me. Sugar doesn't bother me AT ALL. That said, I do usually tend to avoid grains, starchy veggies, and other junk because in my experience and research, they're not good for ANYONE whether they cause negative side effects or not - the body just doesn't need them. But if I'm on an "I just want to be normal!" stretch, then I'll indulge.
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 6:12 am
Twyla,
I really enjoy your posts.  I don't have the DS (yet) but you sure look like you're going into this with both eyes wide open.
Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 7:50 am - Chattanooga, TN
 *snort*  They'll probably have to duct tape me to the gurney and gag my butt...and I know I'll have my eyes squeezed shut!  LOL

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 8:15 am
You'll do fine, I'm sure.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/30/11 6:28 am - Sedona, AZ
it sounds like you have really been paying attention here ! You know a lot- enough to make it work! I have enjoyed reading your posts.

I have quit smoking 4-5 times over the course of my adult life and the times I started were usually very stressful times or when I was with friends in a bar having a drink. I quit cold turkey the first few times because I had become disgusted with cigarettes and made up my mind. The second to the last time it took Chantix the prescription and I was amazed at how I had no cravings or impulse to smoke AT ALL when I stopped after using that!

I went long periods after quitting- 5 years, 7 years, 1 year, 4 months. I haven't smoked now for 2 years and will never break down and have ONE again - as that is all it takes to be back at the habit.

The last time I quit was after I had pneumonia and in the hospital for a week and couldn't breathe and was on oxygen for a month. I was told I had a small amount of COPD also which scared me. I used the patch that time but only for a few weeks not the full 16 weeks they suggest.ed.

The important part of the last 2 times I quit I think is that i also read the book Quitting Smoking for Dummies before quitting. The info in that book gave me the strength of will to quit so there was no torment going without them. It helped immensely. The knowledge from the book also kept me from desiring to ever be a smoker again. I know now what my triggers were and what erroneous thinking brought me back to think I could ever have ONE again EVER and I am determined not to make those mistakes again.

Each time I have quit I found that in time it was so much easier to be a non smoker that I couldn't understand why it took me so long to quit again each time I started. It was like I hardly remembered smoking after awhile.

People say it is the hardest addiction to overcome but I don't agree with that. For me anyway it just took the desire to want to quit and really mean it. With the cost of cigarettes and the health problems that result,  it really seems like just an educated decision.

I  know you can do it even if it seems hard in the beginning, Never think you can ever have just ONE later tho!  To me that is the real secret of staying a nonsmoker. You can do it!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Twyla S.
on 10/30/11 8:02 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Yeah...today I've become TOTALLY disgusted.  I don't like the idea of being controlled by anything, and it's really starting to sink in on me just HOW MUCH they are in control.  Going to buy one of the fake cigs and give it my last ditch effort before the duct tape comes out.  A friend of mine mentioned hypnosis--and I happen to believe that the mind is stronger than the body, so it really might work on me.  But then again...I keep thinking what I'd do if I were a hypnotist.  I can just see me walking and quacking like a duck because I let some schmuck mess with my mind.  Of course, maybe they don't think like I do.....

Yeah...I know I'll NEVER be able to have just one.  It would be on and poppin' again  The hand thing is what has me tied up so much.  I'm buying this LAST fake cig, then I'm just going to quit.  I'll use it for the hand thing when it's run out--then my house will probably get cleaned top to bottom, I'll be the most rested person on the planet from the nerve meds, and MAYBE the hubs and son will still have all of thier limbs attached.  Big maybe there.....

I've made up my mind that if I can't quit this week, then I'm postponing, or slowing everything down.  If I can't quit, then I must not be ready.  Of course, then there's the whole "self sabotage" angle....God, I think I've had too much therapy.....