DS Failure?

allraindrops
on 10/30/11 12:37 am
Curious if anyone knows of anybody with a failed DS? As in, ended up gaining most of their weight back? I haven't seen any stories about this, like with RNY, but I'm sure they are out there...
newyorkbitch
on 10/30/11 12:38 am
The DS is  a tool.  It makes it very difficult to gain most of the weight back....but if you sabotage yourself by eating loads of carbs, consistently over time,  it will happen.

allraindrops
on 10/30/11 12:40 am, edited 10/30/11 12:41 am
Yup, understood. I guess I'm just wondering if there are anecdotal stories or statistics out there about this.
MajorMom
on 10/30/11 12:40 am - VA
There are a few out there. Some are due to carb addiction and/or a poorly done DS. They used to make them with a large sleeve and when the malabsorption couldn't keep pace with the carb addiction, the person gained weight back.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 1:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
There are a few people who've come on here with significant regain--60+ pounds for one person sticks in my mind. To a person, they have allowed their diets to get skewed away from protein in favor of carbs.

All of the folks who have stayed here at least enough to report on their progress, who have rebalanced their diets, have lost significant amounts of that regained weight.

I read occasionally on a Yahoo DS list that is populated with noncompliant, non thinking, willfully uneducated people. The folks who know their stuff and stay there should all be elevated to sainthood IMO. There is a LOT of regain reported there, and a LOT of complications due to nutritional deficiencies.

The DS is not magic and not a free ride. It's just very different in its requirements from the other procedures.

Imissthe80s
on 10/30/11 2:18 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 EN- Here's an important question: if a DSer has significant weight gain due to poor eating habits, would you say they could lose that weight more quickly than a non-DSer if they were to get their diet back on track?

Renfairewench
on 10/30/11 4:32 am
I gained about 25 pounds. It's only taken me about 3 week, maybe 4 to take it off. I would say that for me, yes, I am losing it more quickly than a non DSer, especially given the amount of food I am eating. The only real difference I made in my diet was to limit my carbs a great deal and to eat protein (and fat) during the day. I like to save my carbs for dinner so that I can have a potato or rice. Once in a while I'll have some bread, but not too frequently.

Some folks who have gained a lot of weight post DS due to poor eating choices seem to be losing weight by cutting the carbs, but I think that weight loss and speed is an individual thing. Some people might only lose 2 or 3 pounds a week whereas others might lose 5 pounds a week. It's hard to say specifically because all things are not equal in terms of what people eat and how much. My husband still shakes he head when I come out with a huge plate of food and lose weight that week.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

newyorkbitch
on 10/30/11 5:25 am
Yes!! The DS is a weight loss tool!
Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 7:58 am - Burlington County, NJ
I doubt that it's a given. Chances are the longer out you are (Maddie is still a DS youngster, remember), the more it will differ. My opinion is that gratitude for the ability to lose gained weight AT ALL is called for :-).

Larissa P.
on 10/30/11 1:14 am - Denton, TX
I think the closest "failure" of a properly done DS was maybe a 50 lb regain? I haven't seen any 100 percent regain ever (like with other surgeries). But that's just my experience on this board for 4+ years.

Anyone who had a significant regain (at least the ones that posted here) were able to turn the tables back to weight loss going low-carb, etc.

Now, there have been some "failures" that turned out they did NOT have a DS, their doctors were scams, or incompetent.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB