OT--Like Popeye, I yam what I yam?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 1:53 am - Tuvalu

In case anyone gives a rat's ass or is the least little bit curious...I apparently, like Popeye, "...yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam."

I recently met someone in person who had previously known me only online.  That person was asked by another, what--essentially--to expect upon meeting me.  The answer was along the lines of "pretty much what you'd expect from reading her stuff online."

I mention this partly because it tickled me, but also because there seems to be an OH urban legend of sorts that goes something like, "You only act that way because of the anonymity of the internet," or "you wouldn't say that to someone in real life," or similar sentiments that assert that we--many of us--are not who we really are when we are online.

So a warning for those of you who are considering meeting up with a random DSer from OH.  Some of us really ARE pretty much who we seem to be!
  Exercise caution!

Grammo
on 10/29/11 2:17 am - Nashville, TN
"like"
Grammo!
(Ticker includes 11.5 pounds lost on the two week pre-op liquid diet.)

High Weight (09-99) 294 DS Consult Weight (06-09)283 
                  Surgery Weight (8-11-09) 271.5 Goal Weight 130
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 2:30 am, edited 10/29/11 2:32 am - Tuvalu

It's not all good...I look just like my avatar, too!

ETA:  Well, almost.  I didn't have the scarf and my teeth were visible, and I seldom scrunched up my face like that.  But it was me.  I'm pretty sure.

scoob
on 10/29/11 2:36 am - Somerset, KY
So funny. I think maybe I'm nicer on here. Sometimes on here I just close the post instead of reaching through the computer and choking the living **** outta someone. IRL, they'd at least , get a mouth full. You just never know, really!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Samaro ..
on 10/29/11 3:01 am
So this person whom you met found you to be intelligent, funny, articulate, holding of opinions which you share when necessary, helpful, friendly (unless provoked by....um....stupidity), witty?

I always thought that I came across as in real life as I yam online but it was pointed out to me that I appear very nice on these boards where as in real life I am....er....less so on occasion.  Hmmm.....

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 4:10 am - Tuvalu
On October 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, Samaro .. wrote:
So this person whom you met found you to be intelligent, funny, articulate, holding of opinions which you share when necessary, helpful, friendly (unless provoked by....um....stupidity), witty?

I always thought that I came across as in real life as I yam online but it was pointed out to me that I appear very nice on these boards where as in real life I am....er....less so on occasion.  Hmmm.....

Someone also said that someone ELSE had a particular kind of Tourette's than only manifests when that person is driving.

She claimed to be talking about a male, but maybe she also knew about the "other" you?
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 9:16 am
On October 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, Samaro .. wrote:

Samaro,

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Meeting Ms. Cal et al (you know who you are) has been one of the greatest highlights of the year for Ragamuffin and me!  I wish we'd had more time together.  I saw several famous people in Vegas doing book-signings and filming commercials.  That all paled in comparison to meeting some of my favorite DSers ever.  I was AWESTRUCK!  

Ragamuffin met the crew the day before I did.  I was a little gun-shy going to dinner so I asked Ragamuffin what Ms. Cal was like.  Without missing a beat, she said "When you meet her you'll know she's no one other than who she is!"  Uh, what?  Then I met her and it made perfect sense.  As she talked I envisioned her avatar next to a box of text with a "submit" button at the bottom of it.  Yup, the genuine article!    

As for the Tourette's, well, nobody's perfect!  But some of us come pretty #&@*$! close.  LOL     
Samaro ..
on 10/29/11 10:46 am
Slim,

It was truly great meeting you and Ragamuffin.  I'm glad we got to steal away Rags for some spa time and lunch and then to spend the next evening with both of you, Diana and her "wrangler", Ms. Cal and Mr. Cal.  The only thing that would have been better was more time to visit.

As for things said while driving....er....There is the slightest of possibilites that I may suffer from a similar condition. lol

Twyla S.
on 10/29/11 3:33 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Yeah...what you see if what you get with me.  Something happened when I hit my 40's.  I no longer gave a rat's ass what anyone thought of anything I had to say.  I'd say I may be a tad nicer on here than real life....but then again, I've never been honked off on here.  Stupified maybe....LOL

Most people I've talked to on here I would LOVE to meet in person.  There's a few that I know would get on my nerves if they were like they appeared oln here....well, on the main board.  LOL

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Julie R.
on 10/29/11 4:07 am - Ludington, MI
 You're like one of the top five people on these boards I'd love to meet.
I think I'm pretty much the same here as I am IRL.      Bawdy, vulgar and long-winded.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125