Vitamin C almost killed me!

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/29/11 1:03 pm - Plumerville, AR
Or so I thought. I am accustomed to swallowing large quantities of pills (scrip & vites) and figured that I could swallow my chewable vite C no problem. BIG PROBLEM.

My life flashed before my eyes, I was wrenching to get the offending tabs out of my throat, and ended up drenching my dear pooch with orange flavored water ;-(

Note to self- chew the ******g chewables, no matter how tart the ******s are.

After I regained my composure and was certain that I wasn't going to die all alone in the house and get eaten by poochie, I knew I had to share this cautionary tale. Lol
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

Julie R.
on 10/29/11 4:31 pm - Ludington, MI
 Glad you are alive to type this, LOL.    I almost choked to death attempting to swallow six - yep - six Citrical once.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/30/11 1:32 am - Plumerville, AR
Holy Moses, 6!?
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

lauralisi
on 10/29/11 9:22 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Holy Smokes!!!! You guys please be careful 
litebrite
on 10/29/11 11:34 pm - Telford, PA
Yes, good lesson.  I hate one of my chewables, I won't be trying to swallow it!  Glad you are ok!!!
DS on 8/15/11

Twyla S.
on 10/29/11 11:39 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 Ohh Lord...I'll have to remember this!  If I do something like that, these two (hubs and grown son), would be looking at me dumbfounded and asking me if I was choking or something. Wouldn't matter if I was turning purple.....they'd have to ask....

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Elizabeth N.
on 10/30/11 1:04 am - Burlington County, NJ
Or break the buggers into little bits.

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/30/11 1:34 am - Plumerville, AR
I will try that, EN. Looking for my pill splitter right now.
Kristen

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 1:06 am - San Jose, CA

You know, the chewable orange vit Cs from Costco taste JUST like orange SweeTarts (well, close enough anyway) - I take two/day with my supplements, and I use them as my reward for taking the others - I swallow the rest, then my "dessert" is the yummy vit C.

But they ARE big, and have sharp squared off edges, because they are not meant for swallowing - I have occasionally accidentally grabbed the vit C with the others and tossed it down, and I know immediately what I have done because it does not go down smoothly.

This is a good excuse for a PSA - EVERYONE in the family should know some basic CPR and the Heimlich maneuver, and you should know how to do it to yourself (using the back of a chair, e.g.) if you are alone.  I saved my daughter's life when she was ~18 months old and choked on a piece of meat - I had JUST the day before refreshed my memory of how to do it because it had been printed on the grocery bag from Safeway.

Larissa P.
on 10/30/11 1:09 am - Denton, TX
You can find Cs in capsule form at Vitamin Shoppe really cheap, much easier to swallow, and no need to chew. :)
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB