Running DSers - best pre-race food?

Stacey M.
on 10/28/11 10:33 am - Olney, MD
 Hi guys, it's been a while! I knew I had been away too long when I couldn't even remember my login info to OH. 

I'm running my first 10k on Sunday morning (Marine Corps!) and I'm not sure what I should be eating tomorrow and Sun morning. On one hand, I'm worried about extra bathroom issues from nerves, so I thought I should try to eat only protein. However, everything that I've seen has said to eat extra carbs the day before. 

What has worked best for you - both for energy and to avoid doing a port-a-potty tour doing the race?

Also, anyone else doing the MCM 10k or marathon? 

thanks,
Stacey
HW: 290 06/29/09

J G.
on 10/28/11 2:15 pm
Hi Stacey, I'm not a runner, just a walker - bad knees.    But...seems like if you eat carbs it's not going to matter how much energy you have 'cause your going to spend your time in the port-a-potty.  right?  I'm thinking just protein and not much fat. But of course stay hydrated.   Maybe add some extra calcium, too.

Best of luck!  Hope you do great!  - Jenny
MajorMom
on 10/28/11 8:04 pm - VA
Stick with protein. If you do want to have some carbs, make them gluten free. Good luck! HOOAH!

MADS are getting together in Dec at my house if you're interested in meeting up. Let me know.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Janet P.
on 10/28/11 8:33 pm
No suggestions but good luck and stay warm.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kayla B.
on 10/28/11 8:52 pm - Austin, TX
I do not run, but I would think that having glycogen storage in your muscles would be critical, and then a little bit of carb before for easy energy the day of the race to get you started.

I'm leaning towards saying the glycogen is more important...so at least having some carb for lunch and/or dinner the night before.  Do you have any safe carbs?  Potatoes, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, crackers, polenta, fruit, rice?

It's kinda hard to say...I'm not you and I don't know how you've been feeling on your runs.

I might recommend yogurt with fruit and maybe some granola.  Depends on your tolerance of fruit, lactose, and the granola though!  Oatmeal and some protein would be great...but I know some peoples' guts hate oatmeal.  And I definitely wouldn't try a new food the day of.

Let us know what you decide on and good luck!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Stacey M.
on 10/28/11 11:21 pm - Olney, MD
 Thanks all. I decided to stick with my normal protein today plus an extra shake at night. Going to avoid fiber and make sure that dinner tonight is easily digestible. I'm trying to think of carbs that don't bother me and haven't come up with much besides potatoes and polenta (great suggestion Kayla!). Oatmeal hates me, so does anything with flour. I think bananas are ok, so I will try that tomorrow morning too. 

I've been a bad runner since I haven't trained for actual race conditions. I only run in the afternoon or at night. I do notice that I have less energy on the days where I eat the fewest carbs, but if I am 'bad' then I have gas/cramps/runs to the potty so there's definitely a balance. 

thanks again for the help! Now I'm more worried about turning into a popsicle before the race starts. 

ariadne1969
on 10/29/11 1:02 am - Dayton, OH
Hi there - I have been running 5K's for about 2 years now and just ran my 1st 10K at the Air Force Marathon this past September.  I stick to protien but up my requirements during running season (120-150g/day ).  Also the week before a race I add a 1/2 cup of Total cereal to my morning routine with a banana.  That seems to help with my energy levels and my iron as I get tend to get dizzy after 3 miles.  I am not running tomorrow, but have several friends who are -- so best of luck!
Ariadne

Stacey M.
on 10/30/11 5:44 am - Olney, MD
 Thought I'd check in with an update. :) My time was 1:12:05, which averages to about an 11:35ish mile. I had really wanted to come in under 1:15 so I am pretty happy. 

Yesterday I had 3 protein shakes throughout the day, and quite a few carbs. I had to go to a Pampered Chef party so I mostly picked during lunch. For dinner I had cod and polenta. This morning I had the leftover polenta with some butter, cream and maple syrup. I didn't take my morning batch of vitamins, only my antacid. I had a '5 hour energy' bottle and a pre-workout type shake (don't know what those are called) about an hour before race time. All in all I felt good and had a decent amount of energy. The last 2 miles were really tough but they were also uphill the whole time. I am completely pooped now though.

Oh, and it was COLD. The temp at race time was 31 degrees! 

MajorMom
on 10/30/11 7:18 am - VA
HOOAH!  So proud of you, Stacey.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Stacey M.
on 10/30/11 11:41 pm - Olney, MD
 Thanks Gina! Hope to see you in December!