Confused want to go from Lapland to DS

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 11:25 am, edited 10/29/11 11:25 am
I think you need to spend WAY more time here and researching these surgeries before you see ANY doctor.   You have no idea what DS even is.  You need to know what you want, then find a surgeon to see after that.
lovy19
on 10/29/11 12:30 pm
 Hi switched thank you for your reply

Thats exactly what I was doing, I went on the DS website and gained loads of information. I am contacting one of the doctors that is listed here in NY that specializes in that to get more info.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 2:04 pm
Excellent idea.  Is it a surgeon on the list of vetted surgeons on DSfacts?  Good luck to you!
lovy19
on 10/29/11 2:44 pm
 Hi switched ty

I was looking into contacting William B. Inabnet, MD,  who is a surgeon listed on that site.. He is with mount Sinai hospital in new York and specializes inn DS and also revision.
Joanlaptods
on 10/29/11 11:26 am
I was a band to DS revision. I like it much better than the band. You do have to committ to taking vitamins daily and checking your labs. It can have serious complications so pick a surgeon skilled in revisions even if it means you have to travel.

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

Joanlaptods
on 10/29/11 11:32 am
DS has the most malabsorption and long term effectiveness, that's why I chose it rather than gastric bypass. With gastric bypass (RNY) a lot of people regain after their absorption recovers a few years down the road.

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

lovy19
on 10/29/11 12:26 pm
 Thank you all for replying and yes I had no clue I was on the DS website and wow loads of Info.  I had no clue it was malabsorption, I wish I knew about this when I had the Lapband.  DS seems like the perfect surgery for me.
* Gail R *
on 10/29/11 12:51 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
Please read DSFacts.com from beginning to end. Come to us with all of your questions and we will do our best to answer. I hope you can get insurance that will cover it, but if not appeals are often successful.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

lovy19
on 10/29/11 12:54 pm
 Thank you Gail.
sandyv63
on 10/30/11 1:06 am - Naples, FL
I was going to go to Mt. Sinai. Dr. Inabnet is actually an endocrinologist and will not do your surgery. It is Dr. Herron who does the DS at Mt.Sinai. I mentioned to Dr. Herron that Dr. Inabnet was listed on the DSFacts. com website as a DS surgeon and his comment was that Dr. Inabnet does not do DS surgery.  Also, I am not sure how much experience Dr. Herron has with revisions. You might want to go see Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill instead. I really liked Dr. Herron but he was more of a gastric bypass (RNY) surgeon so I don't know if he would be your best choice. Dr. Roslin would likely have more experience with people like you (band revisions) and have a more informed opinion about your best options.   Here is a link to the Mt. Sinai weight loss program. Look under 'our team' and you will see Dr. Inabnet is the endocrinologist and Dr. Herron is the actual bariatric surgeon:

http://surgicallyslim.com/index.html

I have to warn you that during my consultation with the nutritionist they recommend, I was constantly correcting her about DS dietary requirements. She kept giving me RNY info and I kept correcting her. If you see this nutritionist, make sure you know your dietary and vitamin requirements because you will be in trouble if you follow the gastric bypass (RNY) requirements.