Confused want to go from Lapland to DS

larra
on 10/30/11 1:40 am - bay area, CA
It sounds like you are in the process of learning more about the DS, which is great, and exactly what you need to be doing. The DS has the most malabsorption of any wls presently being done. It combines moderate restriction with moderate malabsorption. Gastric bypass works almost entirely by restriction, the malabsorption of calories is minimal and doesn't last. Both operations require taking certain vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life, which is important but not difficult. Both require emphasis on protein in your diet, but with the DS we only absorb about 20% of the fat we eat, so we can eat a much more wide variety of foods, and also use more cooking methods than with gastric bypass, which requires a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet for the rest of your life for success.
      The DS has the highest percentage excess weight loss of any wls, the best maintainence of that weight loss, and the best resolution of almost all comorbidities. Weight regain is a major problem with gastric bypass. These, along with the potential nasty side effects of gastric bypass, are the reasons I chose the DS. If you are reading on dsfacts.com, you are learning more about all this.
     As others have mentioned, your best bet in NY is Dr. Roslin. We is a highly regarded DS surgeon and definitely does revisions. We don't see much mention of Dr. Herron around here, and apparently Dr. Inabnet isn't a surgeon at all. I suspect if you see that group, they will try to steer you to gastric bypass. If you have done your research are want the DS, go to Dr. Roslin.

Larra
lovy19
on 10/30/11 3:18 am
 Hi LArra,

This is what I wrote to sandy she also suggested Dr Roslin

I was interested in Dr. Roslin until I looked at the reasons for revision, idk if my band slipped or anything I just know if I eat it gets stuck a lot and I'll throw up, haven't had a fill in years because I got tired of being sick with it and without the fill,so to be honest idk what's going on with this band all I know is the only thing that can stay down is the bad things.  Maybe she will deny the revision but on the site at mount Sinai they stated revision if the band is not working or if the desired weight loss has not been met, so idk what to do or which doctor would even look at me, and if they do will they need to speak to my prior surgeon? I hope not he is very arrogant :(. I just want to live again, i dontt want to die of diabetes or high blood pressure, my mom Is I the hospital now because of her diabetes, my two sisters suffer with diabetes and my aunt died from it.  Im so afraid I will not get the help I need to overcome this battle.  
larra
on 10/31/11 12:54 am - bay area, CA
The most common reason for revisions from the band is failure, not a technical problem like band slippage or erosion (though sometimes these problems are found at surgery even when they weren't known pre-op). Dr. Roslin does a lot of revision surgery, and I think the big barrier may prove to be your insurance rather than which surgeon. I would recommend at least contacting him.
    Another alternative in NY is Dr. Pomp. He seems to be more conservative than some surgeons and for this reason there are folks here who won't recommend him, but he's an experienced DS surgeon who does do band to DS revisions and his patients seem to like him. He is more likely than some surgeons to do the surgery in 2 stages rather than all at once, but still, he's someone you could consider.
     As to whether or not they would speak with your prior surgeon, I have no idea, but I don't see the necessity for this myself. You will probably need your operative report, but you can get that either from the prior surgeon or from the hospital where the surgery was done yourself.

Larra
lovy19
on 10/31/11 6:09 am
 Hi Larra,  everything you stated is exactly what must be done,  I actually contacted Lenox hospital and they set me up to go to a required seminar before I can see dr Roslin,  my date is for tomorrow, as you stated my insurance would be a problem so it was changed to hip Medicaid which will be in effect dec 1 so I am going to go to the seminar and do whatever I need to do with my pcp before dec 1 comes around, because they also stated they would need a hip referral from my pcp.  And yes I do need my operative report as you stated so I will work on getting that so when dec 1 come around I will be ready.  Quick question how long does it usually take to get a revision? I know it probably depends on insurance but are there Ny people who were approved within a month?
Elizabeth N.
on 10/31/11 10:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Yay that's great progress and very fast!

Will the HIP Medicaid work better than what you have now? I'm confused.

lovy19
on 11/1/11 12:04 am
 Hi Elizabeth,

Yes they take hip Medicaid, right now I have amerigroup which they do not take, so they told me just go to the seminar to get that out of the way since I have to wait Until dec 1 for my coverage to switch over.  I knew hip Medicaid would be preferred because that is what I used to get my Lapband and the approval was quick I just hope I am just as lucky this time, that's the only fear I have is approval and having to do that 6 month diet thing all over again or them saying I did not give the band a chance.  I had the band since 2006, so to wait until dec 1st to find out what's going to happen is torture.
larra
on 11/1/11 1:35 am - bay area, CA
It sounds like you're doing everything right. As far as how long it will take to get your surgery scheduled, I have no idea. It will depend on how quickly you get insurance approval, and also of course on Dr. Roslin's schedule.
     In the meantime, read through your new policy carefully and see exactly what the requirements for wls are. That way, you won't have any needless delays after Dec. 1.

Larra
Jersey Girl
on 10/29/11 9:30 am
I'm a band to DS revision.  Feel free to read my profile.  I've documented my experience there.  I'm very happy with my revision and wish I'd had the DS first
A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
lovy19
on 10/29/11 10:17 am
 You look beautiful...wonderful BIo.  It's inspiring thanks I was thinking DS was not for me becaus I feel I need malabsorption. But you look amazing.
teachmid
on 10/29/11 10:38 am - OKC, OK
I'm a little confused. You're saying the DSis not for you because you need malabsorption???? The DS will give you the malabsorption,

-Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165