Confused want to go from Lapland to DS

lovy19
on 10/29/11 8:02 am
 Hello everyone this is my first post I am 5'5 and 240 pounds I currently have the Lapband had it since 2006 i live in brooklyn ny I lost minimal weight with the band and gained that back and more my body shape is what made the doctor want to do thenlapdband instead of gastric I have big hips thighs and bottom stomach not that big but the weight is heavy on my knees I now have amerigroup coverage not too familiar with it because I was initially approved with hip Medicaid when I got the Lapland.  I am going to switch insurance because I am looking Into the DS I just hope I get approved for a revision lapband made me lose significant hair food constantly gets stuck so the easiest to keep down are the bad foods .  I am so stressed with this weight gain my self esteem is rock bottom. Has anyone here gone through a similar experience, are my chances of revision slim?I any words of encouragement will be much appreciated.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 8:26 am - Tuvalu
On October 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Pacific Time, lovy19 wrote:
 Hello everyone this is my first post I am 5'5 and 240 pounds I currently have the Lapband had it since 2006 i live in brooklyn ny I lost minimal weight with the band and gained that back and more my body shape is what made the doctor want to do thenlapdband instead of gastric I have big hips thighs and bottom stomach not that big but the weight is heavy on my knees I now have amerigroup coverage not too familiar with it because I was initially approved with hip Medicaid when I got the Lapland.  I am going to switch insurance because I am looking Into the DS I just hope I get approved for a revision lapband made me lose significant hair food constantly gets stuck so the easiest to keep down are the bad foods .  I am so stressed with this weight gain my self esteem is rock bottom. Has anyone here gone through a similar experience, are my chances of revision slim?I any words of encouragement will be much appreciated.

" my body shape is what made the doctor want to do thenlapdband"

Huh?

I once saw an optometrist who didn't think I would do well with contact lenses because I am a Capricorn.  That optometrist...and your lapband surgeon...are idiots...or crooks...or maybe both.

Aaaaand....my optometrist didn't sell contacts and I bet your surgeon sold lapbands.

You've been had.  (I was lucky...I just wen to a different doctor.)

lovy19
on 10/29/11 9:25 am
 Hi ms cal I know I am so upset I have to go see him Tuesday but if I don't like what I am hearing I am going to look into other surgeons, I just hope they will do revision because I know a lot of surgeons don't like to go over other doctors work.  I don't know why my surgeon did not give me gastric he said my stomach was not that. Big and Lapband would be best due to my shape but he went on to say that because of my body structure he do teen think Lapband will help because I will only lose minimal weight SMh ugh I'm disgusted just thinking about it. I also switched my insurance back to hip Medicaid. It it won't start until December 1 I currently have amerigroup which my doctor does not take.  Thanks for responding.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 12:31 pm - Tuvalu
On October 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, lovy19 wrote:
 Hi ms cal I know I am so upset I have to go see him Tuesday but if I don't like what I am hearing I am going to look into other surgeons, I just hope they will do revision because I know a lot of surgeons don't like to go over other doctors work.  I don't know why my surgeon did not give me gastric he said my stomach was not that. Big and Lapband would be best due to my shape but he went on to say that because of my body structure he do teen think Lapband will help because I will only lose minimal weight SMh ugh I'm disgusted just thinking about it. I also switched my insurance back to hip Medicaid. It it won't start until December 1 I currently have amerigroup which my doctor does not take.  Thanks for responding.

"I know I am so upset I have to go see him Tuesday"

Three things:

1--call and cancel the appointment;

2--(this might hurt) put on your big girl panties and take personal repsonsibility for NOT doing your homework last time out and THIS TIME make sure you are not le to do womething you don't want to do.  Read and read and ask questions and KNOW what your options are and do not let anyone else use you.

3--Medicaid may make things a little more difficult.
lovy19
on 10/29/11 12:38 pm, edited 10/29/11 12:39 pm
 Hi ms cal

I switched back to hip Medicaid because that was who approved me initially for Lapband and after researching I see that their Pproval rate is still good.  I hope I again am one of the lucky ones, and yes I will make sure I have my big girl panities on lol :)?  I will definitely be more responsible this time.
larra
on 10/29/11 8:34 am - bay area, CA

Now don't take this personally because it was the doctor and not you that concocted this one, but of all the supposed advantages of the lap band I've ever heard of, this one is the dumbest. Not you, the doctor...but then again, I guess he wasn't as dumb as he sounds because he did get paid for installing the damn thing, and probably for some fills and unfills as well as you tried your best to make it work.
     To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely NO association of lap band being better for a particular body districution of fat.
     We have lots of lap band to DS folks around here, and they seem both happier and much more successful with the DS. I hope some of them will respond to your post, and that your insurance will cover the revision. Just make sure, this time, that you go to a surgeon who does the DS and not back to your original surgeon. You can find a list of DS surgeons at dsfacts.com. Be wary of any lists you see on OH, they are NOT accurate.

Larra

lovy19
on 10/29/11 9:30 am
 Hi LArra thanks for your reply to be honest that was my stupidity I practically begged him for gastric and he said no because I did not have that much weight to lose and my body structure would allow. It so much weight  loss at the time I was 217 pounds at 5'5 I'm now 238 pounds SMh I tried really hard with this band but the throwing up and hair loss is too much I can only keep bad food down SMh I spoke to him today and he stated he need to see me before he decide on revision SMh I will see him on Tuesday but imgoing to look I to other doctors 

larra
on 10/29/11 9:45 am - bay area, CA
This surgeon is not someone who does the DS, and while I don't know what he'll say about revision in general, I can guarantee he won't recommend the DS for you (or for anyone). My best guess is that he'll say that the failure of the band is your fault, while in reality the band failure rate is extremely high. You did not fail, you had a wls with a high failure rate and IT failed.
     But that's not usually what surgeons who do bands will say. My advice, for what it's worth, is to cancel the appt with this guy and schedule an appt with a surgeon who does the DS. Almost all DS surgeons do band to DS revisions because so many people who had the band need revisions. Again, check the list at dsfacts.com and go from there. That appt is just going to be a waste of your time, and possibly emotionally upsetting to boot.

Larra
lovy19
on 10/29/11 10:10 am
 LArra that was the best advice and I'm going to follow it iwill cancel that appt. Monday and start looki ng for a different doctor my next question is do you think DS is the way or gastric I was thinkingi may need. Malabsorption surgery initially I wanted gastric and was swayed against it.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/29/11 11:01 am - Burlington County, NJ
Why go back to a surgeon who is little better than a crook? Fire him and go find an honest surgeon. That is the most freaking OUTRAGEOUS bit of bull**** I've heard yet to sell a crap band. I'm sorry you were taken in.