Cramps, cramps, cramps

fullhousemom
on 10/29/11 1:41 am
I hope this isn't "tmi" for anyone, but I am having a problem.  I am 2.5 weeks out.  I have bm's about once every two days, always in the morning.  The waste starts out solid and then comes the diarrhea.  I have massive cramps.  I shake.  I sweat.  This morning, I grabbed a bucket because I thought for sure I was going to throw up (add an acidy stomach in the morning and it was really horrible).  I am afraid that one of these times I am going to pass out.

Normal?  Does it go away?  I get very little fiber because of the protein requirement.  I eat a lot of cottage cheese, chicken noodle soup (homemade), some white cheese, eggs, an occassional protein shake, and sugar free popsicles as water doesn't sit well like it used to.  My goal is 40 grams of protein a day, which I usually hit, but I find I don't eat a whole lot else.

I never had a problem before, but now that I think about it, sugar free candy, etc bothered me before.  Maybe that's it?  I also used to drink coffee which kept me regular but I gave that up in September without any issues.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
Kathleen F.
on 10/29/11 2:31 am
I believe that is called a vasovagal response. Over stimulation of the vagus nerve. If I were you, I would stop eating the sugar alcohols. Maybe take some benefiber or chia seeds for fiber in order to control the diarrhea. It should get better as your guts start to get used to the new configuration.
fullhousemom
on 10/29/11 3:06 am
 Thanks Kathleen. I googled a couple of terms you used in your post and I think that is exactly what is happening. One of the things my doctor told me I could have was sugar free popsicles. I didnt realize that those artificial sweeteners were going to be such a problem for me.  I used to drink diet coke without a problem, but that was then! Things are different now!  I am going to eliminate all artificial sweeteners and see if I can turn this around.  Three little popsicles a day have caused me a lot of pain. And there is a direct correlation with when I added them to my diet and the cramping. I think I will do some searching on past posts as well. 

Thanks again for responding!
Kathleen F.
on 10/29/11 4:28 am, edited 1/25/12 8:51 am
The weirdest things will affect you so early on. Sucks that the artificial sweeteners are bothering you. The main thing is to stay hydrated and eat your protein. Mostly stay hydrated. [edited to remove personal information]

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 10:29 am
 You can always try Lemon and Stevia in your water. Or, even walmart carries a Stevia sweetened Crystal Light. Many people can use the Stevia and not have a problem with it.
Julie R.
on 10/29/11 1:34 pm - Ludington, MI
 At 2.5 weeks post-op, your system is still adjusting to the surgical changes rendered.     I remember as a new DS'er, I'd get real crampy when I'd poop in the morning.     Also, be care of the noodles in chicken soup and even the cottage cheese.    The white flour could be giving you problems, and/or you might be lactose intolerant.   I can now tolerate yogurt and cottage cheese, but at first, those items gave me problems.  Now, only milk and half and half cause me to cramp and bloat.      Be patient....it gets better!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

J G.
on 10/29/11 5:01 pm
Lactaid Low Fat Cottage CheeseYou might want to try this.  It's lactose free.

And I would avoid gluten -  the noodles.  I think Citrucel says it is fiber without gas.  Best of luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. 

-Jenny
Janet P.
on 10/29/11 10:14 pm
You absolutely have to stay hydrated and no way can you do that with sugar-free popsicles only. You have to find something to get your water in. I had success with Desani water (we always though it might be the added minerals, but who knows or cares, since it worked).

Others suggested lemon in the water, or try crystal lite, but you have to find something. Get some fiber you can add to a liquid if that might help.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny