alcohol after DS

lwillis22
on 10/29/11 1:22 am
Hi Everyone,
  It has been a while since I have been on here.  It has been over a year since my DS surgery and I would like to have a few drinks tonight.  I am not a drinker at all so I will not be having much but wondered how it will affect me.  How does alcohol affect everyone? 

Thanks,
Lori

MajorMom
on 10/29/11 1:59 am - VA
Mostly a quick buzz and fast return to normal. Try a little wine before you go out and see how it works for you. 1/2 a glass was plenty for me early out.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lwillis22
on 10/29/11 2:07 am
Thanks, did it give you gas or make you run to the bathroom?

MajorMom
on 10/29/11 2:28 am - VA
No problems. That might be the case with an overly sweet mixed drink though.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Grammo
on 10/29/11 2:22 am - Nashville, TN
Minimal effect on me.   Never been a big drinker anyway, but when I do I might "get there" a tad faster and then I get over it faster, too.   The biggest change for me is that I was sort of allergic to alcohol before DS, flushed, got hot, broke out in hives, etc.   No longer happens.   Must have by passed that part of me in the switch. 
Grammo!
(Ticker includes 11.5 pounds lost on the two week pre-op liquid diet.)

High Weight (09-99) 294 DS Consult Weight (06-09)283 
                  Surgery Weight (8-11-09) 271.5 Goal Weight 130
walter A.
on 10/29/11 3:28 am - lafayette, NJ
alcohol destroys the hormone adh which i don't produce in my pituitary gland and must take synthetic replacement for, much like a diabetic takes insulin.  drinking is a no no or as foolish as eating a candy bar.
newyorkbitch
on 10/29/11 3:53 am
Because we are all different....be cautious.  Don't have "a few drinks."  Have one and then wait and see how you feel.
Julie R.
on 10/29/11 4:12 am - Ludington, MI
 I am VERY sensitive to alcohol now - the effects have gotten worse with time for me.    I get a headache almost instantly, and if I can somehow manage to circumvent that, I will wake up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache, and an anxious, insomniac feeling.     This is after only two drinks.  I maybe drink a few times a year now.   I do best, believe it or not, with straight, high quality tequila.   High sugar drinks send me to the bathroom.    Try ONE drink and see how you do.    Most of us get buzzed quickly, and sober up quickly.     I'm going out tonight, and I might have a couple of drinks.  It helps if I eat a big meal before I drink, eat while drinking and eat something substantial before going to sleep.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 10/29/11 6:04 am - AL
My first drink was a margarita.  Blew me up with HORRIBLE gas.  HORRIBLE.  So now I do straight tequila and beer.  Like everyone is saying..quick high...short lasting...no hangover.

~Becky

Twyla S.
on 10/29/11 6:26 am - Chattanooga, TN
 I always liked my tequila straight up anyway......

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein