Body Temp Regulation - cold ALL the time!

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 7:54 pm, edited 10/30/11 1:16 am

Since having your DS...have you ever reached a point where you're oversensitive to cold? Is this a deficiency symptom of some kind that I've yet to discover, or just an effect of the reduction in body fat?

I've noticed it more recently. I'm nearly three years out.
MajorMom
on 10/28/11 7:57 pm - VA
At first I think it's the rapid weight loss and loss of body fat. Later it could be low iron. Everyone is a little different, of course, some folks' iron is fine and they're still cold all the time. I seem to be pretty well regulated now but that first year was chilly!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 12:59 am, edited 10/30/11 1:17 am
Thought it was because the insulation was gone!  I know people who have anemia get cold, but when I was taking iron every day, it was off the charts, even though I have lupus.  My new labs will be back a few weeks, so I'll see!
Janet P.
on 10/28/11 8:26 pm
I'm almost 9 years post-op and have been cold since my surgery! My first winter post-op I actually had to ask a friend how to stay warm. I used to live in t-shirt and shorts all year round and had to learn how to dress in layers. I went out and bought sweats. I personally don't think it has anything to do with deficiencies - just loss of body fat, but if you're concerned check your labs.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 1:01 am

Iron is fine, but I'll check my new labs when they get back!
Kayla B.
on 10/28/11 8:55 pm, edited 10/28/11 8:55 pm - Austin, TX
I was freezing my first winter after I'd lost weight.  And I chose that year to go visit family in Colorado!  I was cold all the time and wearing my coat indoors. 

Some of it I think is reduction in body fat, but thyroid and iron (or really, any anemia) problems should be ruled out as well.

I am often cold to the touch now, but my tolerance of the cold is not to bad (so I'm not in pain from it, though I am still cold, if that makes sense).
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 1:04 am, edited 10/29/11 1:04 am

New labs are back in a few weeks, but Thyroid and iron have always been ok. My PCP always runs thyroid anyway, if I need labs for something else.

My surgeon orders the DS labs.
scoob
on 10/29/11 1:52 am - Somerset, KY
I didn't own a pair of sweats. Ask I type this I sit here in my husband thermal underware, pants and top. A pair of his sweats, and one of his sweat shirts. Socks and house slippers. Tonight, I'll be under my electric throw. It is just a down deep in the bone kinda cold. My body aches. It's only October. I'm def, investing in some thermal of my own and some long sleeve shirts. Over the years of reading, I have found this is pretty normal though. I too will be having labs done on Monday so we'll see what's going on in that area also, but I do think mine is just the extreme weight loss. Stay warm sweetie!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

sandyv63
on 10/29/11 2:56 am - Naples, FL
If your doc is only checking TSH, you may have an undiagnosed thyroid problem. For years I knew I was hypothyroid but all the docs would check was TSH. I had Hashimoto's disease all along and because only my TSH was checked, it went undiagnosed. Since you already have an autoimmune disease, get your thyroid antibodies checked. TSH does not always show hypothyroidism; you should have your T3 and T4 levels checked as well. I was always COLD and at the time, my TSH was 'normal.' Even with proper supplementation and Low Dose Naltrexone, which has been miraculous for me, I am still cold once the temperatures reach the 60s here in Florida (pathetic, I know.)  I have to keep the A/C at 77 degrees or higher even on the hottest days because I get too cold.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 6:52 am

She also checks T3 and T4. Normal  These are PCP labs I'm talking about, not DS labs, but I think my surgeon checks those as well.  I'll have to look at my past reports.