Lynn Bee back in hospital.. again...NEWBIES...be aware!

Renfairewench
on 10/28/11 10:20 am
I'm sorry about your nieces post op issues. I know from my own experience that revisions are very risky surgeries. I had a crap load of post op complications that included gastric leak, internal blind fistulas, external fistulas, internal and external abcesses.  I had a vetted revision surgeon do my surgery. I don't blame him for the problems I had post operatively. I truly believe that my body just didn't react well to the surgery and as such I ended up with complications. All I could do was be compliant and try whatever I could to get healed. In the end I had a near complete gastrectomy and excession of the fistulas and abcesses and have fully recovered. 

If you would like more information about what happened to me, please go here and scroll down 7 posts. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4429622/Introduce-mysel f-Newbie-seeking-Revision-from-RNY-to-DS/

I will keep your niece in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery. 

Maddie 

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

maryc543
on 11/1/11 5:57 am
Thanks...   I'd like to read your story!   Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Hollydawn
on 10/28/11 12:10 pm
Hi Mary,

I had my DS by a vetted surgeon as well but ended up with some very serious complications. I ended up spending close to 2 yrs in the hospital on and off.I spent a lot of time in the hospital in Michigan and then came home for a few months, ended up getting sicker again and my government health care sent me to the Cleveland Clinic. Between the great care I got their and a new doctor in my own city they saved my life. It was a long 2 yrs where I was close to death a few times and now I am healthy and living an active life, you would never have thought that this time last year I was slowly dieing. Is there a chance she can go and get checked over at the Cleveland Clinic. If she can see if she can meet with Dr.  Schauer or Dr. Chan. They are both amazing doctors and figured out what was wrong fairly quickly. I know that OHIP (government health care system) sends any of the difficult weight loss cases to the Cleveland Clinic if they can't be helped in Ontario. I will keep your niece in my thoughts but please tell her it will get better she just has to continue to stay strong and fight for some answers.
Holly 

newyorkbitch
on 10/28/11 12:16 pm
Holly,  what was wrong?
Hollydawn
on 10/28/11 1:04 pm
HI, For me it started out with being sent home with an undiagnosed leak. About five days after surgery when I was home every time I ate something I felt pain in my left shoulder later in the day it was so bad it brought me to my knees. My surgeon sent his patients home eating food so all of the food I had eaten ended up going into my abdomen. I ended up being sepsis and was rushed over the border back to the hospital. My leak turned out really hard to find and I think I was in surgery for about 10 hrs. Then it just went down hill from then. I ended up getting infection after infection, liver issues, more leaks you name it I had it lol. Felt better for a few months went back to work and then all hell broke lose again. OHIP no longer wanted to deal with my original surgeon or hospital and that's how I ended up going to the Cleveland clinic. I have been healthy for about 7 months now and no issues knock on wood lol. So there is hope out there for people who have had or are dealing with complications. Take care.
Holly 

maryc543
on 11/1/11 5:58 am
Sorry you went through all this....  and thanks for the Cleveland Clinic suggestion.  I will pass it along.    Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

gak
on 10/28/11 1:31 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Mary,

Will be praying things get resolved soon and she is on her way to good  health.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

calendargirl
on 10/28/11 2:07 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
Thinking of you, Lynn Bee... Sending all my prayers and positive thoughts your way.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

J G.
on 10/28/11 3:15 pm
Mary, I'm definitely sending healing thoughts for Lynn Bee.  Please don't feel guilty.  Lynn Bee is a strong independent woman and I am sure she would tell you that she researched and made her own decision to have the DS. I'll be keeping both of you in my prayes.  - hugs, Jenny
leslieanne729
on 10/28/11 3:50 pm
Mary,
So sorry to hear the Lynn Bee is still having problems. Hopefully she can get answers soon if she can get into the clinic. I'll say some prayers this has been such a long road for her. Please give her my best & a hug.
L:eslie
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy